We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private Tour, Bethlehem, Rachel's Tomb, crossing to Jordan

NYC
Level Contributor
39 posts
245 reviews
Save Topic
Private Tour, Bethlehem, Rachel's Tomb, crossing to Jordan

Hello, I'm in the beginning stages of planning my trip to Israel and Jordan. I will be traveling alone in Israel and will be joining a tour in Jordan. I would like to visit Bethlehem and Rachel's tomb. Does it make sense to hire a private guide to take me there and then assist me with crossing into Jordan. Is it possible to do this on the same day. I also have the option of doing this in reverse, I can first go to Jordan and than travel to Israel. Does it make more sense to do that and would it still be possible to cross near Bethlehem and do it in the same day.

Thank you.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,089 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private Tour, Bethlehem, Rachel's Tomb, crossing to Jordan

The crossing from Israel to Jordan is not near Bethlehem. ( you need an advance VISA to do this) Although Rachel's Tomb is in Bethlehem, it is not in the area controlled by the PA. You would need two guides. ( I do not see a need for a guide in Rachel's Tomb. Ask on the West Bank forum for suggestions of guides for Bethlehem.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private Tour, Bethlehem, Rachel's Tomb, crossing to Jordan

I would suggest not to use a privet tour at all. For sure you do not need one for Rachel's Tomb. Bethlehem is a short bus ride from Damascus Gate in Jerusalem, the Church of the Nativity and surrounding area is the major attraction thus you could also do it alone. Please make sure to have your passport as Bethlehem is under Palestinian authority.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,291 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private Tour, Bethlehem, Rachel's Tomb, crossing to Jordan

Rachel's Tomb is in Jerusalem on the way to Bethlehem but under total Israeli control. You can get there by bus from the CBS or by taxi, but not by foot. When finished visiting there take the bus or taxi back to the main road, cross the street and you will be at the crossing into Bethlehem. When on the other side take a taxi to the Church of the Nativity. Or you can arrange a private guide to take you once you have crossed over. When you have completed your visit you could take a taxi from Bethlehem to the Allenby crossing, but it would probably easier to go back into Jerusalem and get to the Allenby crossing from there. If you do Jordan first, don't plan doing anything else that day as there alot of delays at that crossing and you might be disappointed by missing certain sites.

Note that while you require a visa into Jordan via the Allenby crossing, you do not require a prior visa to enter Israel from Jordan at that same crossing.

Chana

Israel

4. Re: Private Tour, Bethlehem, Rachel's Tomb, crossing to Jordan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2015, 07:15