We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not a safety Question. Tel Aviv, Beer Sheva & Haifa

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Topic
Not a safety Question. Tel Aviv, Beer Sheva & Haifa

First of all I am feeling a bit bad asking this question in light of the current situation, and I hope that you are all keeping safe and that this will end soon!

I have a 13 day (11 full days) trip planned with a 7 day tour booked. On the days not on the tour we are staying in Tel Aviv at the Hotel Metropolitan (Hopefully a reasonable hotel?)

We looked into booking a private tour guide and car for a day via the travel company here in Australia and we were given a price of over $600 USD per person. There are 3 of us travelling together. At that price I did not book it.

My question is, is there any companies ect that have driver service I could book with or do I need to book with a tour guide?

We are wanting to go to Beer Sheva and Hiafa.

Again hope you are all staying safe and I apologise if anyone finds it insensitive asking this question at the current time.

Thanks in Advance

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,430 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Not a safety Question. Tel Aviv, Beer Sheva & Haifa

Wow! That is expensive. If you book directly with a guide you are looking at being charged $600-$750 per day IN TOTAL for a guide who also drives you. (not per person).

Someone may post who can give you details of just a driver, but in the meantime take a look at the top questions on the right if this page and find the one that is entitled "Private Guides?" It is a good place to start.

There are some private guides who post here regularly who might be able yo help you if you want a driving guide... Oreets and Chana (whose ID is Visit Israel) are two of them.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not a safety Question. Tel Aviv, Beer Sheva & Haifa

Are you sure that the $600 was per person? That sounds unrealistic.

If you don't hire a driver, the quickest and most cost-effective way to get to Beer Sheva and Haifa from Tel Aviv is to take the train. There are direct trains to both locations, and they are comfortable and user-friendly. You could then meet a local guide there.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,593 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not a safety Question. Tel Aviv, Beer Sheva & Haifa

A private licensed guide in Israel will typically charge you US$650 per DAY and NOT per person for a full day of guiding and up to 200km of driving. Absolutely do NOT pay US$600 per person.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Not a safety Question. Tel Aviv, Beer Sheva & Haifa

Thank you Heather G I will have a look.

Yes is was around $600 per person, I was in shock to say the least when I got that price back.

I had spoken to the travel agent and she thought the company that we booked our tour of Israel though would come back with a price around $700 in total not $1,800. She was also shocked to get that quote.

Thanks avigail9 I will look into the train

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Not a safety Question. Tel Aviv, Beer Sheva & Haifa

Thank you davetheguide for the information

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,915 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Not a safety Question. Tel Aviv, Beer Sheva & Haifa

Just another example of the middle man, or middle men taking a huge cut for themselves while the actual provider and the consumer get stuck footing the bill.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,738 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Not a safety Question. Tel Aviv, Beer Sheva & Haifa

You can find train details and timetables here:

http://rail.co.il/EN/Pages/Homepage.aspx

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,690 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Not a safety Question. Tel Aviv, Beer Sheva & Haifa

You've got great information re: how to hire a private driving guide at the correct price! The overcharge is the agency in Israel taking a cut, and the agent in Australia taking a cut and who knows who else.

However no one responded to your," First of all I am feeling a bit bad asking this question in light of the current situation, "

While I am not in Israel at the moment and won't be there for another two weeks, I can assure you that your question is very welcome. No one is happy at the present situation but people also feel that it will pass. I just got off skype with my 2.5 year old niece--she and her family are living normal lives, as are all the Israelis on the forum. A normal question shows that at least someone acknowledges that life goes on. The safety question, while understandable is not the sum total of Israel and should not be the sum total of the board.

So--thanks and anyone else who may be refraining from asking a "normal" question, please, please, please ask away!

Edited: 09 July 2014, 18:07
Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,511 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Not a safety Question. Tel Aviv, Beer Sheva & Haifa

I agree -- ask away.

I stayed at the Metropolitan Hotel a long time ago, I think in 2006, so I can't speak more recently. (Check reviews.) But at that point, it was a decent hotel. If you've got a good rate, it's fine. If you're paying a lot, you could probably find a better place at that price.

Good luck to you!

Douglas Duckett

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,965 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Not a safety Question. Tel Aviv, Beer Sheva & Haifa

Why do you want to visit Beer Sheva or Haifa? There is not much to see in Beer Sheva, if Akko is not on your tour go there for a day, again by train. Haifa - besides the Bahahi Gardens you can visit the Clandestine Immigration and Naval Museum (check on ilmuseums.com), take the cable car to Stela Maris to see the church there. And view to the bay.

Edited: 10 July 2014, 11:09