We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daily budget required for my holiday to Israel

QLD
Level Contributor
105 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Daily budget required for my holiday to Israel

I'm travelling to Israel in October on a tour so all accommodation, transport , entrance fees and some meals are inclusive.

I am wondering how much would be a good amount daily to work off.

Souvenirs , lunch etc.

I have never been there before and have no idea, I have heard that it is a very expensive

Country, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,904 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Daily budget required for my holiday to Israel

How long is a piece of string?

Souvenirs can be anything from a couple of postcards to masses of gold jewellery and diamonds (or anything in between). And lunch can be a sandwich made by yourself from ingredients bought in a supermarket, or a full sit-down meal plus drinks in a fancy restaurant (or of course anything in between). But since huge hotel breakfasts are standard in Israel, you most likely won't need very much lunch.

Prices are similar to western Europe, if that means anything to you. They are NOT like prices in India, or other "low-cost" countries.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Daily budget required for my holiday to Israel

Shuffaluff nailed it. Just to add more clarity on the food: perhaps $5-10 for a "cheap eats" kind of place (hummus, falafel, shawarma, sandwiches, etc.), $12-20 for an entree at a casual sit-down restaurant, and at least $40-60 a person (or much more, with ordering a lot and having alcohol) at a fancy restaurant.

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daily budget required for my holiday to Israel

I am going to assume (knowing I could very well be wrong) that your tour package will include the morning meal and the evening meal at your hotel.....that was my experience multiple times. Therefore your needs are rather small, really. Lunch is easily obtained for under $10 or even less. I have traveled with a lot of people and some just grab a bag of chips or an ice cream. Some people even skip lunch. You are being well advised here already about shopping and souvenirs. The sky is the limit.....your own budget will be what determines what you spend on such things. I tend to spend fairly little and I have a lady who travels with me who spends and spends and spends......it is her passion. *smile* HAVE FUN!

Kathy

Paragon, Indiana

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,904 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Daily budget required for my holiday to Israel

QLD is Queensland?

An Australian dollar is 3.2 shekels, so $10 is 32 shekels, and a cheap lunch will cost much less than that. Felafel and salad in a pita, or a cheese, tomato and cucumber sandwich, is about 15 or 18 shekels.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,114 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daily budget required for my holiday to Israel

If you are traveling with a group, they will stop for places for lunch. I suggest you talk to the tour organizer and find out what kind of places they stop at. I agree, with a huge Israeli breakfast you may just grab a nothing snack for lunch or skip it. If they stop for sit down meals ( not necessary) you may be spending more.

Souvenirs, as said, are as much or as little as you want to spend.

Another expense--unless it is provided, will be water. Buy a bottle and refill it. There is no reason not to drink tap water.

You are correct, Israel is expensive compared to other places in the geographic area. However, these expenses are by and large already included in your tour.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,737 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daily budget required for my holiday to Israel

With an all inclusive trip I would plan on about A$20 per person per day for meals/snacks and another A$10 per day for souvenirs. Why this way, so that at the end of the day if you ate less you have more for something special to take back with you. If you don't use all the money budgeted, you win.

Chana

Israel

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,364 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Daily budget required for my holiday to Israel

Sandy, food not included in the cost of your tour is usually lunches, and you are looking at being taken to quick serve places that have a wide variety of food. The prices are similar to food in the food malls at our shopping centres here in Australia and there are usually cheaper options than we usually have also.

Souvenirs... Some examples.... In the Jerusalem Old City market you can get little clay oil lamp replicas for $2 and Armenian pottery for less than $10. Individually made pieces of Armenian pottery is more expensive in a nice shop in the Armenian quarter - you might pay $25 - $50 for a hand signed piece there. Then the price goes up from there to the sky is the limit. :) Diamonds, silver and gold jewellery can be cheaper there than in Australia (make sure it really is hallmarked if someone claims it is silver or gold). There are nice replicas of things like the Dead Sea Scrolls which cost from about $35 - $100 depending on the size.

I suggest you check out this online store for the kind of thing you will see in the HOTEL souvenir shops (in other words the more expensive souvenirs) www.judaicawebstore.com Remember the prices quoted there are US dollars. One of the pages marked "Israel Museum" takes you to the kind of things you might find at museums or historical sites you visit.

When you are in Israel you will get quoted a price for things in dollars and shops you are taken to may have prices written in dollars also. You need to remember all the time they are talking about US dollars and not Australian dollars. They will accept US dollars in payment but if they should offer to accept Australian dollars then remember that you will probably get a very bad rate of exchange. (It is rare that they offer when they discover you are Australian but it does happen occasionally).

The main thing that is expensive for a tourist is hotel accommodation but that is included in your tour price so you don't need to worry about it unless you stay on by yourself after the tour (which I highly recommend if you can manage it).

If you are someone who likes coffee after your evening meal then you won't get a white coffee in the restaurant in your hotel because kosher laws don't allow milk and meat to be served at the same meal. This is easily solved... There is almost always a lounge or bar area where nice coffee (cappuccinos and more) can be purchased. :)

You are going to have a wonderful trip! Enjoy!

QLD
Level Contributor
105 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Daily budget required for my holiday to Israel

Thank you all very much for your posts, they are very much appreciated.

I think We will have a great time and I'm getting very excited as the time approaches.

The prices sound pretty much like we pay here in Australia so I won't be in for a huge shock.

Thanks again, Sandy.

9. Re: Daily budget required for my holiday to Israel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2015, 05:16