We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Biblical reference to the city of Lod (Lydda)

Brownsville, Texas
Level Contributor
583 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Biblical reference to the city of Lod (Lydda)

Since the TA Message Board has been kind of quite (and understandably so) I'm going to pop this question. My trip to Israel is coming up in November (been trying to go since three years ago and finally is approaching) and this is definitely my trip of a lifetime. I'm an evangelical Christian and seeing the biblical sites (especially following the footsteps of Jesus) will definitely be the highlight of my trip. So some time back when researching Israel, I noticed Ben Gurion Airport is located in Lod. This reminded me of the biblical reference of this city in the book of Acts chapter 9. That's the biblical reference of Peter's encounter with a man named Aeneas who had been resting in bed for 8 years, sick with the palsy (paralyzed). Aeneas was healed by Peter in Jesus name. Don't want to get too biblical, I just wanted to share this as I feel the moment I arrive at Ben Gurion, I will be already amazed in that this is the exact historical site of that biblical encounter!!!!!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,664 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Biblical reference to the city of Lod (Lydda)

The airport is not actually in Lod, but it's not far from that town. Before it was named Ben-Gurion (after Israel's first prime minister, David Ben-Gurion), it was known as Lod Airport. The British, who originally built it in the 1930s, called the town (and the airport) Lydda. I don't know where the name Lydda comes from, but the Hebrew name Lod is mentioned in the first book of Chronicles, and also in the book of Ezra.

This might interest you:

biblestudytools.com/encyclopedias/isbe/lod-l…

From that website, quoting a 1915 description:

3. Identification and Description:

The ancient Lod or Lydda is represented by the modern village of Ludd, on the road to Jerusalem, about 11 miles Southeast of Yafa. It is a station on the Jaffa-Jerusalem Railway.

-----

Lod is still a station on that railway line.

Brownsville, Texas
Level Contributor
583 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Biblical reference to the city of Lod (Lydda)

Great stuff (info), thanks Shuffaluff.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,349 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Biblical reference to the city of Lod (Lydda)

Jimmy I am looking forward to reading about your trip. :). I do hope you have time to post a trip report.

The first time I went to Israel we had just one day there as a day trip from the Port of Ashdod. It was the most frustrating day I experienced in all the time I have now spent in Israel. I asked the guide if he would tell us the names of places as we drive through so I could relate what we were seeing to things in the Bible. He replied that nothing in the Bible took place where we were driving through - though he told us when we were in the area where David killed Goliath. After a day with him either not knowing the answers or not answering any queries I had, I made up my mind that I would search out tours similar to the one you are on that had good pastors as leaders. I also did a heap if my own research, just as you are doing.

Wow! What a difference! Our next trip was for a month, but part of it was a tour. We went to Tel Aviv Airport to join the tour and as soon as we got on the bus Dr. Woodrow Kroll explained to us all that Tel Aviv was located at Lod and gave us details about it. From that point on every place we passed gained new meaning as the Biblical names were given to us alongside the current names. It is an amazing country...you will be thrilled with all you see there. Every place was the scene of something! It's a "wow" country to visit!

And about Lod....

Have you found this page... Scroll down a fair way to the first photo and start reading from there:

www.antiquities.org.il/article_Item_eng.asp…

This is the official page for that site: http://www.lodmosaic.org/home.html

I haven't see the mosaic yet... Was hoping to earlier this year but I think I recall being told it wasn't open at that time.

There is also info on Lod here: jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/judaica/eju…

You will have a fantastic trip! I am sure it will be the first of many. :)

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,398 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Biblical reference to the city of Lod (Lydda)

Just to clarify, Heather, when you said Tel Aviv is at Lod/Lydda, I think you mean Ben-Gurion Airport is near Lod, not Tel Aviv itself. As I know you know and believe Jimmy does, the airport is not in Tel Aviv (despite that TLV designation and current news reports inaccurately referring to "planes flying into Tel Aviv") but in the relative countryside between Tel Aviv and Jerusalem.

I find that comment on your first tour rather definitively naming the site of David's battle with Goliath (far more speculative) while negating the site of Lydda (far more reliable given the long-time existence of that settlement). The general statement that the site of many Biblical events (Hebrew Bible and New Testament) is speculative is, of course, true -- but we do know where some sites and cities were!

Douglas Duckett

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,349 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Biblical reference to the city of Lod (Lydda)

Yes, I meant Tel Aviv AIRPORT (ie Ben Gurion airport)..... Not Tel Aviv the city. Sorry for the typo.

That first day tour where the guide said we were in the region of where David killed Goliath was not very accurate either from what I now know. (The valley between Khirbet Qiyafa and Socoh is a much better fit to the Scriptural description). The day tour really was not the best.... And I now barely count it as a visit to Israel. But it did make us comfortable enough to return to israel again 3 more times so that was good. :)

6. Re: Biblical reference to the city of Lod (Lydda)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 July 2015, 06:16