We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains and buses

London, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Trains and buses

I plan to travel by trains and buses in my trip to Israel in August and need advice regarding the best type of tickets to purchase. Can I purchase a tourist ticket that covers travel on both trains and buses to different destinations over Israel, for example a travel pass for say 7 days travel anywhere. Thanks

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,664 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains and buses

Welcome to TripAdvisor.

No, there are no passes that would be of any use to you. There are monthly season tickets for specific areas or on specific routes, or within specific cities, used by people who travel daily to work or school, but that is all.

If you are planning to use buses in Jerusalem, you should buy a Rav-Kav smartcard. With a Rav-Kav you can get 90 minutes unlimited travel within Jerusalem. It is all explained in this thread:

tripadvisor.com/…56690196

With the same Rav-Kav card you can also buy an all-day ticket for buses in the greater Tel Aviv area, which works out to less than the cost of three rides.

Note that there are numerous bus companies operating in Israel, covering different parts of the country. Each bus company has its own website and not all of them have English versions. However, there is site that covers all the bus companies as well as Israel Railways, which is helpful for planning purposes:

bus.co.il/otobusim/Front2007/homepage.asp…

London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains and buses

Thanks for this, very helpful!

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,630 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains and buses

Also when paying with a rav kav card you can buy a return ticket on the bus or train which costs 20% less than the two individual tickets. The return is open-ended - you can use it whenever you want.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,664 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains and buses

The discount for return tickets is for intercity routes, and I don't think it is available on all intercity routes. You would need to ask the driver.

London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains and buses

Thanks for the heads up about the discount for return tickets :)

6. Re: Trains and buses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 July 2015, 06:15