We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

israeli cellphones can't roam in jordan? why?

irbid,jordan
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
israeli cellphones can't roam in jordan? why?

Hello

i am wondering why israeli cellphones with a sim card from any operatour can't roam in jordan. I have many arab-israeli friends and relatives whenever they come they use a jordanian sim card or a palestinian one to call from jordan?

I have read on cellcom's website that the ministry of comunications baned roaming in jordan and egypt!

So why?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
18,372 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: israeli cellphones can't roam in jordan? why?

To begin with, the charges for these calls would be prohibitively expensive.

I'm not sure that roaming was banned - there used to be a very serious problem in the Dead Sea area that some phones would pick up a Jordanian signal while you were in Israel. This led to horrible surprises when you got your bill and that may be the reason that the cell companies blocked roaming, even though it still happens with some carriers.

Mentioned in this post
Dead Sea
Dead Sea
1,885 Reviews
Dead Sea Region, Israel
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,036 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: israeli cellphones can't roam in jordan? why?

To cut a long story short, when I was abroad in June I discovered to my surprise that my (new, but not smart) phone didn't work abroad. Its predecessor, that died of old age, worked fine when I took it out of the country. When I came home I called the service provider (Orange) to get it sorted out. The end of the story was an automated announcement telling me that "within half an hour" I'd be able to use it abroad, but not in Jordan or Egypt. No, I don't know why.

Mentioned in this post
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,406 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: israeli cellphones can't roam in jordan? why?

Israeli phones picked up the Jordanian signal sometimes when in Eilat, Dead Sea and the Jordan Valley. After many complaints the Ministry of Communications asked the companies to "close' the roaming to Jordan. Cellcom has a warning sign that appears when you reach these areas. You can ask your company to open it for your phone.

Mentioned in this post
Dead Sea
Dead Sea
1,885 Reviews
Dead Sea Region, Israel
Eilat
Eilat
Southern District, Israel
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,036 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: israeli cellphones can't roam in jordan? why?

Shoshi, that explains it perfectly! I did wonder why.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,231 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: israeli cellphones can't roam in jordan? why?

While visiting the Jordan valley area a number of years ago I got an automatic message from Orange on my cellphone. It told me that I had entered Jordanian roaming. That meant that if anyone had called me, I ( not them) would have been paying a huge roaming charge. I immediately shut the phone down. It was a pain and put me out of touch for hours. I guess roaming is no longer the default to prevent this. It makes sense that you have to ask for it.

Mentioned in this post
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
5,101 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: israeli cellphones can't roam in jordan? why?

The same happens on the Jordanian side - the cab driver I used a couple of years ago to get from the Beit Shean crossing to Amman had an Israeli cellphone as the reception of the Israeli signal was stronger than the Jordanian one in parts of the Jordan Valley.

Mentioned in this post
Beit She'an
Beit She'an
Northern District, Israel
Amman
Amman
Amman Governorate, Jordan
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,630 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: israeli cellphones can't roam in jordan? why?

... Not to mention Sinai, where (before the security situation deteriorated) the best present you could bring for your Bedouin hosts on the beach was an Israeli SIM or charge card.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,945 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: israeli cellphones can't roam in jordan? why?

This issue was a huge problem for my son. When living on a kibbutz in the Jezreel Valley not far from Jenin (you could see the lights at night), his cell phone would switch over all the time to the Jordanian system with roaming charges and he would get tons of text messages in Arabic (which he doesn't read). Luckily, he had friends who could read Arabic and were able to explain what was happening. He finally got the issue resolved and all the charges reversed but it was quite a problem for a while. Sounds like a very good thing that the roaming is now blocked.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
113 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: israeli cellphones can't roam in jordan? why?

Similarly, when we were stuck for a couple of hours on the Israeli side of the Allenby Bridge crossing, my son used our T-Mobile service to send a bunch of texts. (Our US T-mobile plan provides free texts in a number of countries, including Israel.) When we got home, I discovered that they had been charged as if they were made from Jordan (where the plan does not provide free texts.) Fortunately, the cost was not great and T-mobile agreed to remove the charge "as a courtesy." I assume he was connecting to a Jordanian tower.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Allenby2 Bed & Breakfast
Allenby2 Bed & Breakfast
246 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
irbid,jordan
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: israeli cellphones can't roam in jordan? why?

Thanks to everyone who answered that explaned alot