We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to Israel next week.

2 posts
Save Topic
Travelling to Israel next week.

So my friend and I are going to Israel next week. I am from Cyprus but I have a lebanese visa from years ago in passport - will this be an issue?

We arrive in Tel Aviv Tuesday evening, we've been discussing what is the best way to get to Jerusalem - the bus or sherut - what would you recommend?

We are staying at Little Jerusalem Hotel for 3 nights. In Jerusalem we are planning mainly to be in and around the Old City. Where do most locals eat - we're students so on a budget? Is the Old city safe after all the riots? What advise would you give?

On Friday we are going to rent a car and drive up to the Sea of Galilee region and spend the night there. Any places that you would recommend to visit in the area? On Saturday we are driving back to Tel Aviv and spend day there and travel back in evening. Is the market in Tel Aviv worth it? Also any other places to see in Tel Aviv?

Thanks! Can't wait - it's first time for us and Israel means a lot to usSo my friend and I are going to Israel next week. I am from Cyprus but I have a lebanese visa from years ago in passport - will this be an issue?

We arrive in Tel Aviv Tuesday evening, we've been discussing what is the best way to get to Jerusalem - the bus or sherut - what would you recommend?

We are staying at Little Jerusalem Hotel for 3 nights. In Jerusalem we are planning mainly to be in and around the Old City. Where do most locals eat - we're students so on a budget? Is the Old city safe after all the riots? What advise would you give?

On Friday we are going to rent a car and drive up to the Sea of Galilee region and spend the night there. Any places that you would recommend to visit in the area? On Saturday we are driving back to Tel Aviv and spend day there and travel back in evening. Is the market in Tel Aviv worth it? Also any other places to see in Tel Aviv?

Thanks! Can't wait - it's first time for us and Israel means a lot to us!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
350 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to Israel next week.

You are sure to have a good time. A Lebanese visa is not a stumbling block to entering Israel, but it might spur the security staff to ask you lots of questions. Just answer truthfully - whatever the truth might be - and you'll be fine.

The best way from the airport to Jerusalem is by sherut.

I hope someone from Jerusalem will answer your questions on where to eat and on safety in Jerusalem.

Only one night at the Sea of Galilee is rather restricting. You also don't say whether you are Jewish, Muslim or Christian, and even whether religious sites interest you, so it's difficult to suggest. Kibbutz Ginossar (Hotel Nof Ginossar) is a nice place - but there are dozens of hotels and guest houses. You didn't mention a price range.

Tel Aviv's markets are closed on Saturdays (Shabbat) . However the old restored railway station ("Hatachana") is open and lively. So is Tel Aviv Port, and much of Jaffa. And the beaches are lovely.

Yes, you'll have a grand time.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,664 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to Israel next week.

Welcome to TripAdvisor.

<<So my friend and I are going to Israel next week. I am from Cyprus but I have a lebanese visa from years ago in passport - will this be an issue? >>

No. Israel doesn’t deny entry to anyone based on their nationality or where they have been. You might be asked a lot of questions, which you must answer truthfully and politely, no matter how silly or irrelevant they seem. Provided your purpose in visiting Israel is tourism, you won’t have any problems.

<<We arrive in Tel Aviv Tuesday evening, we've been discussing what is the best way to get to Jerusalem - the bus or sherut - what would you recommend?>>

There is no direct bus from the airport to Jerusalem (or from the airport to anywhere). Take the Nesher shuttle, NIS 64 per person including luggage, and it will drop you at your accommodation. It goes 24/7, goes when it’s full, and fills up quickly.

<<There are plenty of falafel and shwarma places in and around the Old City. The Old City can be creepy after dark (but not dangerous). As for “safe after all the riots”, it’s hard to know what might happen next week, but if you see trouble brewing steer clear.

<<On Friday we are going to rent a car and drive up to the Sea of Galilee region and spend the night there. Any places that you would recommend to visit in the area? >>

What are your interests? Christian religious sites? Scenery? Hiking? Museums?

<<On Saturday we are driving back to Tel Aviv and spend day there and travel back in evening. Is the market in Tel Aviv worth it? Also any other places to see in Tel Aviv?>>

The market is closed Saturdays. There are heaps of places to see in Tel Aviv, and again it depends on your interests.

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
2,938 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to Israel next week.

Hi Roupen,

One trip to Lebanon long ago may not even be picked up, but as jon-dan says, if it is just answer the questions patiently and you should be fine.

You can find plenty of places to eat cheap, tasty food in the Old City and elsewhere in Jerusalem. Hummus, salads, pitta, and a soft drink should come to well under $ 10.

At the time of writing the Old City is quiet and safe - it usually is, although there have been some disturbances over the past few weeks. Check in here and/or with local news outlets just in case there are any developments. As foreign tourists you will be warmly welcomed by almost everyone on all sides.

2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to Israel next week.

Yeah so I know there is the bus to El Al stop then another bus to Jerusalem. From the 2 methods which is the best?

Sorry I should have clarified, we're Christians! And would like to see scenic places as well in the Sea of Galilee region.

Oh ok where could you go in Tel Aviv on Sabbath to buy souvenirs, spices, local stuff etc?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,664 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to Israel next week.

<<Yeah so I know there is the bus to El Al stop then another bus to Jerusalem. From the 2 methods which is the best?>>

Nesher. No question. The bus (947) that you would pick up at the El Al junction comes from Haifa and it could very well be full. If it's full it won't stop. The same could happen with the next bus, and the one after that... and even if you do get on the 947 eventually it will take you only as far as the Jerusalem central bus station, from where you will have to find your way to your accommodation - either a longish walk (with your luggage), or the light rail.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
3,730 posts
249 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to Israel next week.

For the Sea of Galilee I suggest Yardenit (baptism site at the Jordan river), and Capernaum, Tabgha and Mount of Beatitudes (I would suggest the Karie Deshe youth hostel)

Edited: 06 August 2014, 14:29
Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,398 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to Israel next week.

Giora's suggestions for Christian students on a budget are excellent. If you run short on time, skip Yardenit. The sites on the northwest shore of Lake Kinneret (the Sea of Galilee) were the base for the ministry of Jesus of Nazareth for all but the last week of his life. Start with Capernaum, then move onto to Tabgha and the Church of the Primacy of St. Peter next to it. Then move up to the Mount of Beatitudes and the lovely church there. If you have time, tour the ruins of the Fourth Century synagogue at Korazim, a stunning Jewish site but the town is also mentioned in the New Testament as one cursed by Jesus after his teaching was not received there. The view of the Lake from the Mount of Beatitudes and Korazim is amazing, and the whole area is so quiet and evocative.

Enjoy your journey!

Douglas Duckett

Lawton, OK
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling to Israel next week.

When in the Sea of Galilee area I highly recommend the Karie Deshe Hostel. We have reservations booked there for a trip later in the year and they have been so kind and courteous. I read many positive reviews on them also!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,752 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling to Israel next week.

You indicate you are renting a car and that your are students. If you are under 24 you are going to be limited in which companies will rent to you. I also hope that you are making your rental reservations in advance. THe most expensive way to rent a car is to walk in off the street. If you haven't done so, go online NOW and reserve. THe most popular company is Eldan but they require you to be 24 and your license to be at least two years old. Avis will allow you to rent some of their vehicles if you are over 21, but there are additional charges involved. Hertz requires you to be 25. There may be others that take younger drivers--but that is the 3 biggies. BTW if you do reserve, use avis.co.il --not the international site--and if you are over 24--go with Eldan!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,609 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling to Israel next week.

Stay in the north on Saturday and drive to Tel Aviv on Sunday. Tel Aviv shops are closed on Saturday so any souvenirs should be purchased in the north at Christian sites. On the other hand everything is open on Sunday as its the first day of the work week.

How long are you staying in Israel.

Chana

Israel