We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for some Winter Sunshine!!

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
822 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for some Winter Sunshine!!

Hi all, I am sitting in Belfast at the end of August wearing winter clothing and dreaming of sunshine. I am off to Norway on holiday next week and the weather there is worse than here!!

Egypt is coming up as the place to go but I have been there and am not a big fan so I thought Israel is next door and Tel Aviv is my favourite city.

I am looking at flights and have found great prices from London mid November.

The purpose of this visit is purely sun and sea and relaxation, although I would like to do the walking tour in TA which on my last 2 visits I missed and possibly visit the Palmach Museum.

My question; will Tel Aviv be warm enough mid November or should I head to Eilat. I have never been to Eilat but Tel Aviv would be my preference as I think it has the best beach in the Mediterranean and I do love that city?

Thank you

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,711 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for some Winter Sunshine!!

Tel Aviv will still he warm enough for the beach . Outdoor temps may dip to 20 during the day but some days could be as high as 30. The water temperature is still very warm( 25-27 degrees) and the sun is still shining. Of course Eilat is warmer with more sun, but the water temp may be a bit cooler than the Med as it is pretty static at between 20-23 degrees year round.

Chana

Israel

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for some Winter Sunshine!!

I'd head to Eilat if your priorities are sun and beach - in November things are cooling down in the centre of the country. Since you have to fly through Tel Aviv anyway to get to Eilat, perhaps you could split your holiday between the cities.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for some Winter Sunshine!!

I would also recommend splitting your time between Tel Aviv and Eilat.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,889 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for some Winter Sunshine!!

November is always a quiet month for tourism, I suppose this year it will more so. Come to Tel Aviv and allow for some flexibility in your accommodation bookings so that you can get to Eilat if the weather in not warm enough. You can take the bus to go there easily.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
822 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for some Winter Sunshine!!

Thank you, all booked I will be travelling to Tel Aviv 14th Nov and returning 22th Nov. I will spend 3 night/2days in Tel Aviv and will be able to do the Walking Tour on the Saturday (hooray!!). I have been looking at the fares to Eilat and they are very reasonable. Thinking about taking the bus to Eilat and fly back as a daytime bus journey through the desert would (I think) be very enjoyable.

1 Question; The UK FCO have advised against travel to areas of Israel within 40km of the border with Gaza (including Sderot, Netivot, Ashkelon, Ashdod, Be’er Sheva, and Kiryat HaMalachi). This is not a security question as I have read the many treads and I am confident the bus driver would look after me but it is an economic one as if it was shown that I had traveled through the areas mentioned and then broke my leg or needed medical care, it could invalidate my medical insurance.

Can someone tell me if the bus from TA goes through any of these areas?

Thank you

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,882 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for some Winter Sunshine!!

Buses from Tel Aviv to Eilat go via Beersheva, but none of the other places on your list.

November is an eternity away. If three months from now you still want to avoid Beersheva, you can take a bus from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, and from there to Eilat. Buses from Jerusalem to Eilat go via the Dead Sea, not via Beersheva.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
822 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for some Winter Sunshine!!

Thanks Suffaluff, Would the trip from Jerusalem to Eilat be more picturesque than from TA? I'm an early riser so that wouldn't be a problem. I understand November is a long way away but concerned that the prices for air travel might go up for travel to Eilat. Will look into Jerusalem to Eilat as I loved the bus ride to the Dead Sea and that journey might be better.

Thank you

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
822 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for some Winter Sunshine!!

Shuffaluff has given me another option. As I am looking for sun,sea and relaxation would Ein Boqek be a better option than Eilat?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,882 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for some Winter Sunshine!!

Ein Bokek doesn't have much in the way of entertainment options, whereas Eilat is a real city with a lot more to see and do, and plenty of eating places, as well as being a base for desert tours if you're interested in that. On the other hand, Eilat is a lot further to go.

The bus ride from Jerusalem to Eilat isn't very spectacular after the Dead Sea. It's mostly flat along a boring road. But most of the route from Tel Aviv to Eilat is the same.

If you can see these places on a map: from Jerusalem to Eilat is Road 90 all the way from the Dead Sea.

From Tel Aviv to Eilat it's Road 25 via Dimona, joining Road 90 just south of the Dead Sea.

The spectacular scenery is going via Mitzpe Ramon, but that means changing buses in Beersheva.

10. Re: Looking for some Winter Sunshine!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2015, 06:15