We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cell phone rental

Missouri USA
Level Contributor
397 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
cell phone rental

I have heard that I can rent a cell phone at Ben-Gurion airport for my stay in Israel. Does anyone know the name of the company and if they have a website in English?

Thanks.

Missouri USA
Level Contributor
397 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: cell phone rental

Sorry about the multiple postings. My computer was acting up!

troy mi
Level Contributor
907 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: cell phone rental

it's Pela Phone in the Arrival Hall - you can reserve over I'net to get a discount. Just don't pre-load with a lot of minutes since it's use or lose - you can always add minutes over the phone

Will take about 15 minutes to do. If you're in a hurry, you can get phones from Israel Phone or Amigo delivered here before you leave at good rates. Also check the online Jer. Post for clickable ads

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,550 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: cell phone rental

If you have a phone that operates in Europe and takes SIM cards (some US phones work) you can also buy a pay-as-you-go sim card at the airport from any of the major phone companies and use your own phone. You can ask them to tell you in the phone shop whether your phone is suitable.

Avigail

san francisco
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cell phone rental

Does anyone know if I can rent a phone for Israel here in the U.S.before I leave? If so what is the diff in price? Or can i get my sprint phone to include Israel for 10 days?

Thanks

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,314 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cell phone rental

You can indeed rent a phone in the US; I just did and it shipped today for my trip on October 20. Go to www.amigo-us.com for information. It's very easy and fairly inexpensive.

There is the possibility of using your US phone if you purchase an Israel SIM card. I'm not a techie, and it was far too complex for me to fool with, and you pay for incoming calls with that, which you don't with most rentals.

But you'll pay far more if you wait until you arrive at Ben Gurion to rent. Get it before you go.

Douglas Duckett

san francisco
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: cell phone rental

Thanks to the poster who recommended Amigo phone rental--the webpage looks great, affordable and easy--has anyone tried this co. before? I'm going to Israel in December. I'm reading "Israel: A Spiritual Journey"--great preparation for the experience.

foglover

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,314 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cell phone rental

I used it in May 2005 -- easy and affordable -- and am using it again for a trip at the end of this week. I should have the phone tomorrow or Tuesday. I'm sold on the company. The rates are good and it's very user friendly. Incoming calls are free, another plus.

Douglas Duckett

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,550 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: cell phone rental

If you buy an Israeli SIM card you don't pay for incoming calls. With a pay-as-you-go plan, outgoing calls are about 1/2 shekel a minute to any number in Israel.

Avigail

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: cell phone rental

I want to put in an update on this topic. We are in Israel right now. We rented a Pelephone at the airport. We paid extra for GPS.

From the beginning, the phone was confusing. They use the term "Explorer" for Internet and for accessing the GPS. The first one costs a lot of shekel time, the second one is part of the GPS rental. So, we accidentally used the Internet one, and it was only in Hebrew. We didn't know what to do, so we finally called Customer Service and said it was only coming up Hebrew on that option. The customer service rep was friendly, but needed a 2nd phone to call us to troubleshoot. He suggested downloading the software all over. That used up internet time, too.

The next day, we had no time left. the phone supposedly came with 160 shekels.

We tried to add time with our Visa, and the numbers were not accepted.

So, we called Customer Service, to complain that their fix cost us all of our phone time. They took over an hour and a half, passed us on to 8 different people, we even had a person who spoke Hebrew explain the problem - to no avail. They gave us a 40 shekel credit, when really, the download cost 140.

After a total of 3 hours with Pelephone, and still no GPS able to locate a satellite and find our location, we are too frustrated to deal with them anymore.

So, I would not recommend Pelephone for their service, and certainly not for their GPS.

Some of the people on the phone were rude, some were useless, some could not speak English. The last person, said: How can I make you happy? Finally, someone who knew customer service. Our answer: give us back the time used by the Internet download of software to fix a problem.

Their answer: I can only give you 40 shekels credit, no more.

And we still don't have GPS that works.

That's my Pelephone story. A local tells us that Orange provides better service and cheaper rates.

There, I've vented.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,758 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cell phone rental

I suppose the option Douglas suggest to use Amigo and rent it in the US is a better option. I tried to find some information for a traveller recently and the service from Pelephone and Cellcom was awfull. I could not get to anyone that could give me proper information. Orange were better, I could get to a represntative that understood my question -but had no answer.