We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jerusalem restaurants

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
jerusalem restaurants

It's been an unbelievably long time since my last trip, so I have no idea what restaurants are popular now...Are El Gaucho and Blues Brothers still in existence?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,431 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jerusalem restaurants

I have never eaten in either, but I believe that El Gaucho is still in business. I will post a quote from my free guide on restaurants in Jerusalem (if you want other recommendations around the country, feel free to e-mail me at Labatt@fuse.net, and I will send it to you. It's 35 pages.)

"Finally, as always, I have some restaurant recommendations in Jerusalem. As noted above, I was sad to see that many of our favorite restaurants in the Ben Yehuda/Yoel Salomon street mall area did not survive the suicide bombings in the area in the early 2000s and the subsequent fall off of customers. There are still many, excellent choices.

• Te’enim (Figs) in the Zionist Confederation House behind the King David is an inexpensive, charming vegetarian place, very small with a spectacular view of the Old City walls, particularly when they are illuminated at night. It is located at 12 Emile Botta Street (back from the street down a path), Yemin Moshe, Tel. (02) 625-1967, www.rest.co.il/teenim (Hebrew site only).

• One of the most lovely hideway cafés and bookstores in the city is Tmol Shilshom at 5 Yoel Salomon Street, in the courtyard upstairs behind this address, tel. (02) 623-2758. It’s quite a gathering place for Jerusalemites of all kinds, and has bookmarks from all over the world pinned up on the wall. In a late 1990s visit, I was stunned to notice a bookmark from a local bookstore in Cincinnati pinned right over my partner’s head! There are also readings, concerts, and other events here, and you can check on what is happening during your visit at www.tmol-shilshom.co.il.

• Moving to more upscale locales, my friend Lou and I tried a new place in 2006 called Arcadia on 10 Agripas Street, tel. (02) 624-9138. I really loved this place, and it is now one of my favorite restaurants in the city. I had a fillet of sea bream that was fantastic. By the way, in Israeli, fish is often served whole, with the head and skin still on, and you have to fillet it yourself. Unless the menu says fillet of fish, don’t assume that it is, and ask for them to fillet it for you if you are not inclined to perform a table-side fish autopsy, as you may gather I am not.

• Shonka is a booming, upscale, yuppie place (non kosher) at 1 Ha-Soreg Street at the intersection of Shlomzion Ha Malka and Ha-Soreg, (02) 626-7033. This has really fine food, and is fun for trendy people-watching as well.

• If you are interested in experiencing North African cuisine, I also enjoyed Marrikesh, a great Moroccan restaurant on David Ha Melech (King David Street) near Jaffa Road – more food than one can possibly eat. 4 King David Street, Tel. (02) 625-7577 or 625-1208.

• You will be walking a lot in the Old City, and there are a thousand places to stop for a drink and a bite to eat. But above them all, I recommend Henry’s Café just inside the Jaffa Gate, before you get to the Tower of David Museum or Zion Tours’ office. It’s a small little shop where you can have a juice or a beer, a light salad or sandwich, and just watch the amazing diversity of this city parade by you as hundreds of people pass through the Jaffa Gate. As we sat there on a Tuesday afternoon in October 2006, we saw Coptic and Armenian priests, ultra-Orthodox Jewish men on their way to the Wall, a group of Ethiopian Jewish pilgrims, new Israeli soldiers in training looking impossibly young, visitors from all over the world, laughing teenagers with cell phones glued to their heads, and a young Danish visitor at the next table. Where else on Earth could you see this rich tableau of humankind? We sat and just drank it all in – and some Palestinian beer called Taibeh as well, which was good! Henry is a wonderful man from an Armenian family who have lived in the Old City for generations, and he and his brothers also run a jewelry and gift shop around the corner called Rex. They are good guys, warm and kind, and I trust them. You can reach Henry’s Café at (02) 628-4220 or Rex (the shop) at (02) 628-4865."

Douglas Duckett

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jerusalem restaurants

Loads of new restaurant. Gaucho is still around, but try Joy Grill and Bar at Emek refaim as well, and Il Vaqueiro in Nevi'im st.

If you keep kosher, have a look at the restaurants on eluna.com and get their discount coupon.

Be'teavon!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
273 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jerusalem restaurants

Which is the best of the Middle Eastern restaurants on Agrippas St?

Some restaurants we liked on our trip last June were:

Masaryk in the German Colony for delicious pasta & salads.

Darna for Morrocan food.

We also had dinner at Arcadia, which we found very disappointing. Maybe it was an off night but we didn't really care for any of the things we ordered & it was quite expensive.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
717 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jerusalem restaurants

My personal favorites:

1. "Eldat ve-zehu" at the corner of Jaffo Street / Josef Rivlin: Rather a Pub than a restaurant, but they have an excellent menue. Try their chicken breast in lemon sauce. Very friendly service, lovely atmosphere.

2. "Amigo Emil"on El-Khanqa Street in the Old City (Christian Quarter, very close to Christian Quarter Road): A small old-style restaurant owned by a Christian Palestinian.

3. The Restaurant of the American Colony Hotel - for the Saturday Brunch.

Unfortunately, for those of you who keep kashrut, none of these three restaurants is kosher. But the quality of the food, the service and the atmosphere are outstanding.

Matzchik

Ft. Laud, Florida
Level Contributor
968 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jerusalem restaurants

We had a really nice dinner at Cavalier, 1 Ben-Sira St., tel: 02-6242945....(not far from Jaffa Rd and Ben Yehuda area. We walked from our hotel near the YMCA.) (Not sure if it is kosher.)

It advertises itself as "contemporary French Cuisine".

The chef, who was trained in France, uses Israeli/Mediterranean ingredients cooked in a French style. It is a tiny little place, only 9 tables on a tiny alleyway. Casual but elegant with dark woods, candlelight, and fresh flowers.

For my main course I had lamb cooked with couscous in a curry and sweet sauce which was divine. For desserts we had the chocolate volcano and the pear tart.

If you choose this place, be sure to make a reservation.

We also really enjoyed Dolfin-Yam seafood restaurant. (not kosher)

9 Shimon Ben Shatach St., tel: 02-6232272. (No sign in English out front. Just a picture of a dolphin.) Not far from Jaffa Rd and Ben Yehuda area. We went for dinner on Saturday night after Shabbat. It's best to have a reservation.

I had "meagre", a fish I've never heard of, but it was one of the best fish dishes I've ever eaten. Grilled St. Peter's fish was just as delicious. My cousin had an excellent zuppa di pesce, which was served Italian style. The desserts were wonderful too.

There's a great vegetarian cafe on Jaffa Rd but I can't remember the name. I will pound my brain all day trying to remember.

Ft. Laud, Florida
Level Contributor
968 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jerusalem restaurants

The name of that vegetarian cafe was Village Green at 33 Jaffa Rd. (Kosher)

The 6 of us shared various dishes which were all luscious.

www.village-green.co.il

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: jerusalem restaurants

CTLAW - re the best restaurants in Agrippas. Popular lore has it that Sima is the best. but reality is a bit more complicated than that - for "memulaim" - vegetables filled with meat and rice - Mordoch is the best (but it has strange opening times). And as for best grill place I personally like Hashipudyiah.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: jerusalem restaurants

Douglas, thanks for all your help and I will definitely email you to get the full restaurant guide.

Anon- My husband really wants to go to an south american type steakhouse in Israel, does Joy Grill fit that category or should we go to Il Vaquiero instead? I'm really not a fan of memulaim though.

I'm really hoping that we can have at least one nice dinner out, but I think that we might be limited to lunches out since all my family members in Jerusalem seem to think that they have us booked for dinners in their homes :)

Pacosmom- The fish restaurant you suggested sound fabulous, is it open for lunch as well?

Ft. Laud, Florida
Level Contributor
968 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: jerusalem restaurants

Hi, Rach... My notes say that Dolfin Yam is open daily noon to midnight. But it's always a good idea to double check when you get to Jerusalem.

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: jerusalem restaurants

No, Joy is more your fusion grill restaurant. For South American, it's either il Vaqueiro or El Gaucho, I reckon.