We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car? Driving in Israel?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
790 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a car? Driving in Israel?

Although we have done lots of travelling, we have never rented a car to drive in a foreign country. Although I am a good driver with tons of experience driving in the metropolitan New York/New Jersey area, I am somewhat concerned about driving in Israel. We will be attending a family wedding in the Netanya area, and I thought it would be helpful to have a car to get us back and forth from all the wedding activities.

Is renting a car something I should arrange on the web? Or can I do this at Ben-Gurion when we return from Eilat prior to the wedding activities?

Thanks again.

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car? Driving in Israel?

Could you please be abit more specific about your planned activities?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,397 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car? Driving in Israel?

If you can drive in New York and New Jersey, you can drive in Israel. It would make things considerably more convenient for you.

But rent from here, not on arrival. You'll get a better price. Try www.orbitz.com, then:

Avis Israel at www.avis.co.il

Budget Israel at www.budget.co.il

Eldan (Israeli company) at www.eldan.co.il.

Good luck!

Douglas Duckett

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
790 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car? Driving in Israel?

Hi Anon - I am sorry I was so vague - I was just looking for some background information about renting a car and driving in Israel. It sounds doable, but I will have to figure out if it will be cost effective over using cabs. We are going to spend three nights in Jerusalem and then fly to Eilat for three nights before proceeding to the Netanya/Hadera/Herziliya area. We don't need a car for Jerusalem or Eilat, but thought it might be useful for getting around up north, and getting to the wedding at Neot Kedumim, which I believe is outside of Tel Aviv.

Thanks Douglas - I just opened the fantastic travel guide that you sent me this morning, and saw all your good information about renting cars and driving. I was concerned about driving with all the aggressive Israeli drivers, but probably up north it might not be as bad? I have never driven before in a foreign country, but it sounds doable.

Your guide looks wonderful, and I am looking forward to reading all of it!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car? Driving in Israel?

I don't think you will find driving in Israel to be any different from NY/NJ. All the signs are in English, Hebrew and Arabic, they drive on the right side of the road, and the Tel Aviv/Netanya/Hertzelyia area is fairly easy to navigate.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,859 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Renting a car? Driving in Israel?

abcd1120 get yourself good maps (Carta atlas with town maps) and you will be fine. If you drive in NJ/NY you will feel at home here. Neot Kdumim is way out of Tel Aviv. If you go by cab, you have to keep the cab there, or ask him to come back. Having a car with you during your Netanya time will be useful.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,397 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a car? Driving in Israel?

You have it exactly right. Driving in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem is a major hassle, and a rental car is not useful and even a liability there. But up north, it really frees you up and is very easy. Get it for the drive north; you won't regret it.

Douglas Duckett

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,642 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a car? Driving in Israel?

I had never rented a car before & did so last month in Israel, and I found the whole experience much easier than I thought it would be - there's really nothing to worry about. There are good maps and signposting is generally pretty good.

Avigail

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,642 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a car? Driving in Israel?

btw to add to Douglas's comments - driving in TA and Jlem is indeed a hassle if you are a regular tourist just hanging out in the centre of town, but if you are going around wedding events/people's houses etc in the sububs a car can be very useful as public transport may not exist between the particular places you want to go between, and taking long taxi rides can be expensive.

Avigail

Santa Barbara
Level Contributor
27 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting a car? Driving in Israel?

My husband Robert had no trouble at all driving at any time in Israel--but he learned how to drive in Boston and has lived there most of his life. So, if you feel comfortable driving in Boston, and don't get lost there, Israel's notoriously rude and aggressive drivers--and lack of helpful signage--will be child's play to you. Um, perhaps there is a reality show in this: "Trading Spaces, Boston v. Tel Aviv: Meet Your New Cab Driver!" (I myself don't drive in Boston and I didn't drive at all on this trip.)

Jayne

10. Re: Renting a car? Driving in Israel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 11:19