We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Masada Guesthouse vs. Ein Gedi Guesthouse--which is better

NJ
Level Contributor
182 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Masada Guesthouse vs. Ein Gedi Guesthouse--which is better

I am looking for an overnight guesthouse for our day of touring in Masada area. They are about the same price. I found these two and would love to find out more about which is better in terms of location, cleanliness, comfort, and facilities.

Thank you.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Masada Guesthouse vs. Ein Gedi Guesthouse--which is better

We stayed at the Masada hostel. I have mixed reviews. It was very clean. The front desk was rude and unaccomodating. The pool there was great.Breakfast was ok.They are willing to pack breakfasr for people who climb before the dining room is open at 7:30. The location was great for climbing Masada early in the morning. They had a snack shop and gift shop open starting early in the morning till late at night. There are nice basketball courts. The fascility is new. I will be glad to answer any questions you might have.

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Masada Guesthouse vs. Ein Gedi Guesthouse--which is better

Masada is much newere but the Eun Gedi is much better located nearer the sea, unless you want to climb Masada first thing in the morning.

NJ
Level Contributor
182 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Masada Guesthouse vs. Ein Gedi Guesthouse--which is better

coberg, your post regarding the staff is disturbing. I'm not sure whether to nix the idea. We are planning an early ascent so the location is good. Have you heard of other people having the same experience there?

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Masada Guesthouse vs. Ein Gedi Guesthouse--which is better

I didn't have a chance to talk to others. Even with the staff acting the way they ddi, I would return there.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,819 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Masada Guesthouse vs. Ein Gedi Guesthouse--which is better

The youth hostel is a YOUTH hostel, meaning they have many groups of young people. So the atmosphere is lively. The place is new, well located for Massada. My son and his family were there a few months ago and they loved it.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,601 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Masada Guesthouse vs. Ein Gedi Guesthouse--which is better

I will (almost definitely) be staying at the Ein Gedi guesthouse next week. If it's not too late for you, I will post a review.

South Africa
Level Contributor
465 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Masada Guesthouse vs. Ein Gedi Guesthouse--which is better

We didn't find the staff at the Massada Youth Hostel to be rude. The check in was smooth, and when we asked about dinner the clerk "carefully" asked us if we were really sure we wanted to eat there, describing the food as "school food". Which it was, considering there were four bus loads of kids! Both clerks were polite though. Maybe you got someone in a bad mood!

As someone else said, its the perfect location to tumble out of bed and walk the 100m or so to the starting point for the climb.

I guess it depends on where you want to spend more time.

israel
Destination Expert
for Mitspe Ramon
Level Contributor
692 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Masada Guesthouse vs. Ein Gedi Guesthouse--which is better

LucyRic

It would be unfair to compare the two places as they do not even pertain to being similar let alone compete - they are in seperate classes.

If you are planning on an early accent to Massada then there is no question in my mind - use the youth hostel just know what to expect "an above average youth hostel, clean and with caffetria style food".

Adam

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,361 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Masada Guesthouse vs. Ein Gedi Guesthouse--which is better

I have not stayed at the Masada youth hostel, so no direct report there. I did stay in an arugot (higher end) room at Ein Gedi and loved it. If you have a rental car, it's only about a 15 minute drive to Masada, so I don't know that being there to get an early start makes a huge difference. But if you come by public transport, obviously, you need to be at Masada.

Douglas Duckett

10. Re: Masada Guesthouse vs. Ein Gedi Guesthouse--which is better

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 02:16