We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sinkholes at Ein Gedi?

Israel
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
sinkholes at Ein Gedi?

I just read in a newspaper that because of sinkholes the Ein Gedi kibbutz hotel is closed to guests and that there is a big sinkhole in their parking lot.

I called the kibbutz hotel and they said they are definitely open.

Anyone know what the situation? Is it really open? IS there a problem with sinkholes?

We have reservations for next week!

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,097 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sinkholes at Ein Gedi?

If there was such a problem it would be on the news, but there is nothing. If the Ein Gedi people say they are, then they are.

Israel
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sinkholes at Ein Gedi?

I agree with Shoshi. You have nothing to worry about. I searched the net and there is absolutely no menrion of any sinkhole.

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sinkholes at Ein Gedi?

In which newspaper did you read this? I haven't seen anything.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,097 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sinkholes at Ein Gedi?

The poster is in Israel (maybe an Israeli), he called Ein Gedi, what can we know that the resort people won't tell him? You have to go and find out I guess :)

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,313 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sinkholes at Ein Gedi?

I believe the poster identified himself as an Oleh Chadash ( new immigrant) He/she might have language difficulties and is hoping ( maybe) that someone here, fluent in Hebrew (not I) has better information. But, I agree--the hotel would not lie and say they are open if they aren't.

israel
Destination Expert
for Mitspe Ramon
Level Contributor
734 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sinkholes at Ein Gedi?

Firstly, the hotel does not have a sink hole in it's parking lot.

Secondly, for geological reasons it is highly unlikely that the hotel parking lot will ever have a sink hole (I can explain this but will spare you the details).

Thirdly, I believe the misinformation stems from the fact that the Ein Gedi tented camp site, on the shores of the dead sea and just south of the Ein Gedi beach DID close because sink holes developed in and around the grounds and has been closed for several years now.

Lastly, and not leastly, the Ein Gedi Hotel is a reliable operation and you can trust what they say.

Have fun.

Adam

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,742 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sinkholes at Ein Gedi?

Thanks, Adam.

Douglas Duckett

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
323 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sinkholes at Ein Gedi?

I don't know about that but be careful wading out. I sank in mud up to my mid calf and had a heckuva time walking in the mud.

Ohio
Level Contributor
340 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: sinkholes at Ein Gedi?

FYI...AOL was running a news article on their homepage this week aabout sink holes at the Dead Sea.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,218 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sinkholes at Ein Gedi?

Adam gave a wonderful and complete answer.

To clarify a little, there have been quite a few stories lately on some fringe Internet news sites, including the previously mentioned AOL. These stories have sensationalized the problems of sink holes along the Dead Sea much like many news outlets enjoy doing. Many of us who are on these boards and have frequented Israel and those that live there know of the issue and the cause of it.

Unfortunately there are people unaware of the issue and read these stories for the first time unaware of the reality of the area.

Anyways, for those of you reading this thread and are concerned, the Dead Sea is totally safe to visit and is a highlight of any trip to Israel. There are dangerous areas but if one stays out of restricted areas (which are clearly marked) there is no problem.

Dr. Z