We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dead Sea Bathing - Mineral Beach, Ein Gedi Spa, or Ein Bokek

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Dead Sea Bathing - Mineral Beach, Ein Gedi Spa, or Ein Bokek

We will be travelling from Jerusalem to Eilat in a few weeks and wish to stop at the Dead Sea on route for a quick bathe and play in the mud.

Where do you recommend is the best place to stop between Mineral Beach, Ein Gedi Spa and Ein Bokek?

Which place has the nicest sceanary? nicest beach? best facilities? best price?

Do any of these places have showers, changing rooms and hair-dryers?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,601 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dead Sea Bathing - Mineral Beach, Ein Gedi Spa, or Ein Bokek

The least expensive beaches are Mineral and Ein Gedi. The beaches are all similar but at Ein Bokek the water is right near the hotels and not 2 kilometers away like in the north (Mineral/Ein Gedi). There is a public beach at Ein Gedi which is free with a charge for using dressing rooms/showers. Ein Bokek is where the hotels are and is actually the evaporation pools of the Dead Sea Works. The scenery is gorgeous at all beaches with the mountains of Jordan across the sea and the cliffs of the Judean desert across the highway. I am not familiar with any place that offers the use of hairdryers. But you will be in the lowest place on earth where is it is extremely dry and hot almost all year round so your hair will dry in no time at all (depending on your hair it could take 5 minutes for a main and 15 for a woman)

The hotels have the best facilities and highest prices with the possiblity of lunch whereas most of the other spas do not offer full meals but only snacks.

If you don't plan on extensive use of a spa than any of the northern beaches/spas: Mineral, Ein Gedi, International, Kalya will do. If you want to spend the day, then splurge and go to one of the hotels. Remember if you have high blood pressure, heart disease or are pregnant you should not go into the waters of the Dead Sea.

Chana

Israel

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
50 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dead Sea Bathing - Mineral Beach, Ein Gedi Spa, or Ein Bokek

Thanks.

At the Northern beaches do you need to walk 2km to get to the water? I heard there is a train at Ein Gedi, but what about at Mineral beach?

Also you say pregnant woman can't go into the dead sea; is this definitely true, as my wife is pregnant and really wants to go for a quick dip. I have searched google and can't find any other warnings against it?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,588 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dead Sea Bathing - Mineral Beach, Ein Gedi Spa, or Ein Bokek

Neither this board nor google should provide the definitive answer as to whether your wife can or can't go into the sea. I would ask her doctor!

Congrats on the soon to be new child.

Bluegrass
Level Contributor
34 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dead Sea Bathing - Mineral Beach, Ein Gedi Spa, or Ein Bokek

Why is it not advisable to go into the Dead Sea if one has high blood pressure or heart problems? I've never heard this warning before and have been three times in the past. I'm a group leader and will be taking a group to Israel in two weeks. We plan to visit the Dead Sea and have several that want to go into the water there. In the past, we have never been warned of any health risks...only health benefits! If there are valid risks, I would really like to know about this so I can pass on the information to my group.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,601 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dead Sea Bathing - Mineral Beach, Ein Gedi Spa, or Ein Bokek

First of the distance between the parking lot and the beaches on the northern edge is approximatley 2 km at all of them. Unfortunately the sea has receded this much in the past 27 years. Some of the beaches offer a shuttle, but not all. The walk takes about 10 minutes, it's not so bad. There are outdoor showers fairly close to the water line, but with the recession it is difficult to keep moving them .

Regarding warnings, if you have been to the beaches they all have warning signs regarding people with high blood pressure, heart disease and pregnancy. The reason is the very high salt content, about 33% (Mediterranean is under 3%) which is absorbed in the skin through osmosis and enters the blood stream. People with high blood pressure are generally on a restricted sodium diet and therefore going into the Dead Sea could raise their blood pressure, same goes for heart disease. Pregnancy has the same problem and perhaps others, but I am not a doctor and cannot tell you what. If you go in the water for a quick dip of 2 minutes that may not be enough time for much salt to be absorbed. But in general one is not supposed to stay in the water for more than 15-20 minutes at a time -- yes there are signs with this posted prominantely.

It is always best to inquire from a health professionalism if you have any doubt as to any health problems floating in the Dead Sea could cause. The water is great for your skin but not for your internal organs.

Chana

Israel

Bluegrass
Level Contributor
34 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dead Sea Bathing - Mineral Beach, Ein Gedi Spa, or Ein Bokek

to Chana...thank you for your explanation. I honestly don't remember seeing the warning signs in the past. Perhaps I just didn't pay attention due to the fact of not having had those problems at that time. But, just in the last few months I have developed BP problems, so I will certainly mention this to my doctor before leaving in a couple of weeks. I want to be informed for myself as well as be able to pass the information on to others in the group. Thanks again for responding!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,601 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dead Sea Bathing - Mineral Beach, Ein Gedi Spa, or Ein Bokek

No problem. It is better to be safe than sorry. I always warn my clients in advance so that they can make the correct decision.

Chana

Israel

brooklyn, ny
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dead Sea Bathing - Mineral Beach, Ein Gedi Spa, or Ein Bokek

Please advise if there is any shade on the beach. We are going there as well and I do not want us to burn, we are fair skinned.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,601 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dead Sea Bathing - Mineral Beach, Ein Gedi Spa, or Ein Bokek

All beaches have a limited amount of umbrellas you can go under. There is no plant life at the beaches due to the high salinity of the water. Use sun screen and you won't have a problem. Rarely does a person burn at the Dead Sea. Remember not to be in the water for more than 20 minutes at a time, don't put your head in the water and be careful not to get water in your eyes, mouth, nose, ears.

Chana

Israel

10. Re: Dead Sea Bathing - Mineral Beach, Ein Gedi Spa, or Ein Bokek

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 22:18