We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are the desert trails open at the moment?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Topic
Are the desert trails open at the moment?

Hi everybody,

I was reading a thread some time ago, and someone said that if there is a lot of rain the desert trails around the Dead Sea are closed due to flooding. I'll be by the Dead Sea in 2 weeks and was just wondering what the current situation is at the moment regarding the trails - are they open?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,583 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are the desert trails open at the moment?

Whatever the current situation is today will have absolutely no bearing on tomorrow, let alone two weeks from now.

When there is rain and either flooding or risk of flooding, this refers to flash floods that really do seem to show up out of nowhere. You don't get much advance warning and the flood can come and go in a matter of hours.

There was some flooding last week and a portion of Hwy 90 was closed for a while. Today all is clear, however, as I said that means nothing about tomorrow.

You will just have to wait until you are here, follow the weather reports and keep your ears open regarding any closures in case it rains.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Are the desert trails open at the moment?

OK thanks Oreets ;-)

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,776 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are the desert trails open at the moment?

BTW in many areas flash floods are a result of drainage from rain elsewhere. You can not assume because it is dry where you are standing that it is a safe area. Israel right now is experiencing a lot of rain--for Israel ( thank G-d, we need it) and if this continues, while it makes it harder on tourists, we are all grateful as the water level in the Kinneret ( Sea of Galilee) inches up.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Are the desert trails open at the moment?

If the highway 90 is closed, how else could you get from Jerusalem to the Eim Gedi Youth Hostel? I don't know what we'd do if we were unable to make it. I guess we'd have to find another night's accomodation in Jerusalem. The thing is, I am looking forward to getting to the Dead Sea more than any other part of the holiday! I really want to see the desert, get in the sea and see the sun rise in the next day! Maybe this is all just wisheful thinking!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,583 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are the desert trails open at the moment?

It's not at all wishful thinking. Much as we need all the rain we can get - it still doesn't rain that much. Not every rain will cause flooding or road closures.

If Hwy 90 is closed that does not mean the whole road is closed - limited portions may be closed - perhaps only a km or so, as warranted by conditions. What this means is that you may have to wait a few hours to continue - and the up side is that you get to see the marvels of nature. There are many people who make a special effort to go to that area to see the flooding when it occurs. It is awesome and powerful and nature at some of its wildest.

However, the odds are that there will not be flooding, you will not get to see that marvel of nature - but will definitely enjoy the wonders of the Judean Desert - the Dead Sea, the hiking, the beauty of nature and all the rest.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
8,813 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are the desert trails open at the moment?

Here is a video showing a flash flood at Ein Gedi:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDWFJwOB8Q0

The important points:

- the flooding only occurs when it is raining in the mountains above and even then the wadis don't always flood.

- hike only in the Nature Reserve where the employees will advise you of the situation.

- do not drive across areas of the road that are flooded - the puddle can instantaneously turn into a raging torrent strong enough to move rocks much bigger than your car. Wait until the water subsides.

Haifa
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
1,160 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are the desert trails open at the moment?

David flooed today!

8. Re: Are the desert trails open at the moment?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 May 2013, 10:19