We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dead Sea - most scenic spot?

London, United...
Level Contributor
372 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
Dead Sea - most scenic spot?

I'd like to visit the dead sea to take photographs of petrified trees in the salt & other interesting phenomenon as well as swim in it briefly. Can anyone tell me which part of it is the prettiest. I hope to also visit Jordan and I don't know which side is more scenic. I read that the Israeli side has sink holes (and prohibited areas due to land mines) which may make finding scenic spots harder. Also will it be too cold in late October or early November? Thanks for your advice.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,060 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dead Sea - most scenic spot?

All areas are scenic. The park where the trees are located is called Einot Zuqim which holds the secret reserve. It offers guided tours 3 times a day(see their web site for hours), sometimes in English. If you are with a private guide entrance is more readily available.

Sink holes are a problem and therefore you should only visit authorized areas. There are no landmines in tbe area, they would corrode too fast.

There are great views from Ein Gedi and the Dead Sea Works overlook as well ad Mezoqei Dragot.

Chana

Israel

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,588 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dead Sea - most scenic spot?

Late Oct - early Nov can be warm and even every warm. In any case it will be warmer than the weather you have at home and will be comfortable weather for touring - even warm enough to take a dip and experience the Dead Sea float.

San Juan...
Level Contributor
558 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dead Sea - most scenic spot?

Of course, in my opinion, the most scenic view of the Dead Sea and environs is from atop Masada!

London, United...
Level Contributor
372 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dead Sea - most scenic spot?

Thanks for your replies. Am I right in thinking Einot Zuqim is a river/lake & normal trees and a waterfall?

I was hoping for trees petrified in the salt, large salt rock like formations and things like that. Where should I go for those?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,060 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dead Sea - most scenic spot?

You have described Ein Gedi which is a gorgeous oasis at the Dead Sea. Einot Zuqim has what are believed to be 'brined' trees in a nature reserve.

Salt pillars are not readily found but you are more apt to see salt formations south of Ein Boqek near and around the Dead Sea Works evaporation pools are.

Chana

Israel

London, United...
Level Contributor
372 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dead Sea - most scenic spot?

Thanks for your reply. And are the salt formations accessible south of Ein Boqek or is the shoreline restricted due to the sink holes?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,060 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dead Sea - most scenic spot?

The sink holes are next to the Dead Sea and not so much the evaporation pools. All this being said, there is limited space to stop on the side of the road (west side only) where you may be able to see some salt statues. However, there are not as many as used to be and not as 'decorative' as you may have seen in old photographs. You cannot go walking along the beach of the evaporation pools as the are is off limits and has a high percentage of salt and mud that you could sink in if allowed to walk there. If you have a good lense you can photograph from the opposite side of the road.

Chana

Israel

Edited: 22 August 2012, 21:10
Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
819 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dead Sea - most scenic spot?

if you go all the way to the end of the hotels in EIn Bokek (past the last one) you can walk out onto these "salt" hills

I took amazing pictures around sunset out there of all the formations, colours, and salt encrusted holes in the water (sinkholes?)

London, United...
Level Contributor
372 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dead Sea - most scenic spot?

That sounds just what I am looking for. Do you have any of your photos online so I can see if it's worth the journey? At the moment I am thinking it might be easier to see the Dead Sea from Jordan so anything would be really helpful so I can decide. Thanks

Freehold, New Jersey
Level Contributor
819 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dead Sea - most scenic spot?

i'll try to post some to this site