We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snake path with a nine year old in june?

Vaxjo, Sweden
4 posts
Save Topic
Snake path with a nine year old in june?

Hi

We will be staying at Massada youth hostel on the 5:th of June this year. Me and my husband and two kids, 9 and 16 year old.

Is it a bad idea to take the snake path up before sunrise? How long before sunrise should we start?

And is it possible to do it without a guide/group or could it be dangerous or difficult to find the way?

Sorry about my english, I am swedish:)

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snake path with a nine year old in june?

It's not at all difficult to find the way - once you're on the trail there is only one way to go and there will be plenty of other people there. No problem to walk up for sunrise, just take plenty of water with you. It's not a difficult hike, just requires some energy, a bit like climbing the stairs to the top of a very tall building.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,435 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snake path with a nine year old in june?

I agree, and just join to stress the importance of you and especially the children drinking lots of water all along, BEFORE you feel thirsty. You will sweat copiously but not be aware of it because it evaporates almost immediately, but it is very easy, particularly at this time of year, to become quickly dehydrated. That goes for the time you are atop Masada -- keep taking water breaks.

Enjoy!

Douglas Duckett

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snake path with a nine year old in june?

Lots of children do this hike which is an hour or less if you are walking at a good clip. The time before sunrise is a busy time on the trail. You will have lots of company going up there is absolutely no need for a guide/group to do this with. Other than the fact that you have to get a 16 year old out of bed in the wee hours of the morning, your day should be just fine :)

Have a great hike.

west hartford, CT
Level Contributor
150 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snake path with a nine year old in june?

It will be fine for the nine year old. My nine year old dashed up it last month without any trouble - which is more than I can say for me! It's just like going up a long, long staircase with lots of landings, and amazing views. You must go very early! Get there when it opens, an hour before sunrise, and start up immediately. It gets hot quickly that time of year as soon as the sun is up.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
5,391 posts
335 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snake path with a nine year old in june?

Many people choose to climb around 3 or 4 am for the sunrise AND to avoid the heat. I could do this kind of climb when I was 9, even 7.

6. Re: Snake path with a nine year old in june?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2014, 06:18