We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stolen items

Johannesburg, South...
5 posts
Save Topic
Stolen items

My tablet was stolen at the isrotel Ganim hotel by the dead sea on 14 October. I reported it to the police in Jerusalem on 17th. They said they will send the report to the dead sea police. Has anyone had the experience of being assisted by the police in Israel and any ideas of how to recover it? Any form of advice will be greatly appreciated

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
122 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stolen items

Grace I am sorry you had such a bad experience. I would follow up also with the hotel if it was stolen from your room. Unfortunately I doubt you will get you tablet back, but with the police report you may be able to get something back from your insurance. ( this is, unfortunately, a global problem with small-scale theft; it's not a specific Israeli problem).

Johannesburg, South...
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Stolen items

Thanks Shira. I have been trying to get the hotel security to check their CCTV footage but with the problem of the language barrier this is proving difficult and the security just seem to be busy all the time. I suspect it was stolen from the spa area or maybe my room because by the time we got to the room they were already cleaning it so the hotel staff could have taken it as well. Anyway thank you for the concern you have shown but I will try all possible avenues

Edited: 19 October 2013, 12:53
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,628 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stolen items

One should never leave such items out in the open whether in a spa or on a table in your room. Most hotels have no security cameras on the floors and I doubt there are in spas for modesty reasons and thus the lack of communication on that end. Have you spoken with the hotel security to see if it had turned up. Like Shira said you may never see it again but with the police report you may be able to make an insurance claim.

Chana

Israel

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
435 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stolen items

Try contacting the Isrotel customer service department:

advag@isrotel.co.il

(add 972 and drop the zero on all numbers)

Phone:

08-6387738 , 08-6387740

Fax:

03-5104646, 08-6387743

http://www.isrotel.co.il/contactus/

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,859 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stolen items

Write or fax the hotel and send a copy to the Ministry of Tourism. If the hotel or the hotel chain has a facebook page post it there too, the same with a review on TripAdvisor. You will not recover your loss but will warn others. That is also something.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,408 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stolen items

The contact at the Ministry of Tourism:

Aviva Avraham

Avivaa@Tourism.gov.il

Fax: +972-2-6664443

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,796 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stolen items

LIke others I am sorry this happened to you. Did the hotel have a room safe you could have left it in? Did you take it to the spa and leave it unsecured. Unfortunately tablets are tempting and the thief could have been a hotel employee but just as easily could have been another tourist.

Johannesburg, South...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Stolen items

Thanks, This is the practical advise I need. Thank you

Johannesburg, South...
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Stolen items

Thanks

Johannesburg, South...
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Stolen items

Thanks to you all who have posted practical advice Amos, Shoshi, R_Balboa, I appreciate your advice