We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Mishmar Stream" hiking trail

Helsinki, Finland
11 posts
Save Topic
"Mishmar Stream" hiking trail

I would like to walk the Mishmar Stream hiking trail, which is described here:

www.tiuli.com/track_info.asp…

However, I do not have a car and I know that there are no taxis.

So, I wanted to ask which is the nearest bus stop to the starting point of this trail?

Here is the map I found of the trail, where you can see the starting point:

http://www.tiuli.com/maps/map128eng.jpg

I plan on camping out at Ein Bokek in my own tent (I heard that there is a free camping ground there) and to hike around the Dead Sea area for 2 days.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,385 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: "Mishmar Stream" hiking trail

There is no bus stop between Ein Gedi Spa and "Masada Branching" (as it appears on the Egged website in English - the stop on the highway where the access road to Masada branaches off), a distance of 17 km. The Mishmar Stream is about midway between the two. Bus drivers are not allowed to pick up or set down passengers anywhere except official bus stops.

I understand your desire to get off the beaten track, but you have already been warned that this is a BAD idea. You might run into several groups of hikers, but you could just as easily not see anyone at all for hours, or the entire day. What if you have an accident? Even something as trivial (in normal circumstances) as a twisted ankle, would prevent you from walking. Cellphone reception is very patchy there. I don't think you realize how isolated these places are.

Read this:

jpost.com/Israel/Deadly-weekend-claims-lives…

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,586 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Mishmar Stream" hiking trail

You cannot get a taxi to trails in the Judean desert. Furthermore you will not be picked up at the end of the trails either.

Chana

Israel

Helsinki, Finland
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: "Mishmar Stream" hiking trail

Thank you all for your advice.

I have cancelled my trip to Israel since it cannot be the kind of trip I want it to be.

Maybe I will go sometime in the future, if I find a suitable travel partner.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,535 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Mishmar Stream" hiking trail

I'm sorry that your trip will not work out this year - I sincerely hope you can find a travel partner so that you can enjoy the type of trip that you want and that it will be safe too.

5. Re: "Mishmar Stream" hiking trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 November 2013, 20:17
Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
4,108 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "Mishmar Stream" hiking trail

Faeya

The best hiking trail in the middle east is the Israel National Trail, (Hebrew: Shvil Yisra'el) , a hiking path crosses the entire country of Israel. Planning is required but can be done with public transportation.

Ramallah...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Mishmar Stream" hiking trail

Faeya

What a great pity that you have cancelled your trip. I live and work in the West Bank, have also lived in Jordan and have completed a number of trails, including some of the classic Wadis/Nahals in both the OPT and Jordan. If you change your plans, put a post on here and maybe I can help out. Safety is important but so is adventure. As a mountaineer/climber of some 40 years experience, I believe that William Blake spoke for many of us..... "Great things are done when men & mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street."

8. Re: "Mishmar Stream" hiking trail

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Dead Sea Region