We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi cab from Eilat to Jerusalem

Cairo
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
taxi cab from Eilat to Jerusalem

Hi,

My name is Leen and in April I'm travelling overland from Cairo to Jerusalem (via the Taba border crossing) together with a friend. I've been to Israel once before but she hasn't and I'd like to show her as much as I can in 5 days. I have a couple of questions:

1) As we'll be very short on time we're planning on either taking a (private) taxicab from Eilat to Jerusalem, rent a car and drive ourselves or catch a domestic flight. I've found prices for both the rental car and the flight option, but I can't find any quotes for the taxi fare...Can anyone help me? Please note that I'm referring to private taxi fares, and not the shared sheruts.

2) We're looking for a nice place to stay in Jerusalem, preferably near/in the Old City for about 50 US per night (or less ofcourse). We're looking for some decent (clean!) comfort, don't mind sharing bathroom facilities but prefer to stay away from crowded hostels, as we'd prefer something more charming...Any advice?

3) In Tel Aviv, we're also looking for accomodation, preferably in the Dizengoff area, same wishes apply as for the Jerusalem accomodation. Charming is the key word :-)

4) At the end of our trip, we'll be travelling from Tel Aviv back to Eilat. I've been to the Ein Gedi Spa before and really liked it, so I'd like to stop there for a few hours on our way to Eilat. Does anyone have an idea on what we'll be spending of we rent a private taxi for this trip?

Thanks a lot for any help, I can't wait to visit Israel again...Leen

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,742 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: taxi cab from Eilat to Jerusalem

Traveling by cab from Eilat to Jerusalem would be extremely expensive; this is at least a three hour journey, then the driver must get back to Eilat, probably with no fare since virtually no one would pay the fare for such a trip. We are talking hundreds of dollars, I would guess. You'd be much better off taking the bus, which is very reliable and safe. Locals can give you details on that option.

Your price goals for Jerusalem will be tough to meet, and even more so for Tel Aviv. I was going to recommend the Jerusalem International YMCA (www.jerusalemymca.org) -- great location and LOTS of charm. But it is $110 a night for a double, and $85 per night for a single. Perhaps you can use some of your saved cab fare for that. :-) There are Christian guesthouses in or near the Old City (Christ Church guesthouse and the Lutheran guest house are well spoken of on this forum), and those may be options for you.

In Tel Aviv, this will be even trickier, as it is a very expensive city to stay in. I would recommend you contact Orit at Regent Tours, a Tel Aviv-based hotel wholesaler, and see what she can do at a place like the Cinema Hotel (very charming) or the Metropolitan Hotel (less charming, but reasonable and good accommodations). Again, you may have to adjust up your expectations.

Finally, it will again not be feasible to rent a cab to take you to Ein Gedi, unless you are prepared to spend a lot of money. Here renting a car may make sense.

Good luck, and have a wonderful visit!

Douglas Duckett

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
254 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: taxi cab from Eilat to Jerusalem

I want to second Douglas' thought that taking a cab from Eilat to Jerusalem is not feasible. Doug says at least three hours but even with an Israeli cabdriver it has to be closer to four.

Domestic flights are not that expensive -- certainly much cheaper than taking a taxi. The down side is that you don't get to see the Arava and the Negev which are beautiful. I generally recommend renting a car one way and flying one way -- I've found a car to be useful in the Eilat area since things are pretty spread out, traffic is not too bad and most hotels, restaurants, and the mall have free or inexpensive parking.

Most Israeli car rental agencies will allow you to rent in Eilat and drop off in Jerusalem or T.A., or vice-versa, if you keep the car three or four days, so this sounds do-able for you.

I also second Doug's thoughts on accommodations. I think $50 a night for something clean, not too crowded, and "charming" is too low by about half. Good luck!

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,097 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: taxi cab from Eilat to Jerusalem

For your range of prices see www.telavivguide.net/tel-aviv/Hostels/. It lists hostels in Tel Aviv with reviews.

About flights - I don't know of flights from Eilat to Jerusalem.

Your best and cheapest is the bus. Look at www.egged.co.il. From Taba take a bus or taxi to the central bus station in Eilat. From there take a bus or a sherut if available. Sherut is a shared taxi, mostly with 7-10 pasangers. Going back to Eilat you can use the bus from Jerusalem that goes thru the Dead Sea area. You can get off and take a later bus. Please find out in advance when the buses are due and if there are buses at your desired times. You buy a ticket to the Dead Sea and later buy a new ticket to Eilat. Please be aware that buses do not operate on Saturdays and finish early on Fridays. The bus from Tel Aviv does not go via the Dead Sea.

israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,097 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: taxi cab from Eilat to Jerusalem

For accomodation see also http://www.iyha.org.il/eng/

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
254 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: taxi cab from Eilat to Jerusalem

Shoshi, I know there are no flights from Eilat to Jerusalem. As far as I know the Jerusalem airport has not been operational for quite a few years, since the outbreak of the Second Intifada. But there are plenty of flights to Ben Gurion airport, which, though thought of as in Tel Aviv, is actually between T.A. and Jerusalem. I know that you know this, but others might not.

Although on further reflection, getting to Jerusalem from Eilat or vice versa, using Ben Gurion airport, might not save much time over driving. Almost an hour drive from BG to Jerusalem, the flight, and checking in an hour before leaves three hours vs. four hours for the drive.

My wife and I had originally planned to do the fly one way, drive the other scenario which I recommend. But we are actually going to drive both ways because we want to see stuff along the Dead Sea and also in the central Negev. So we are renting a car in Jerusalem, going down to Eilat along Rte. 90, and returning the car at Ben Gurion, coming back along Rte. 40 through Mitzpe Ramon and Beersheva.

israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,097 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: taxi cab from Eilat to Jerusalem

charlesct, that sounds good. The road both ways is magnificent.

Alabama
Level Contributor
6 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: taxi cab from Eilat to Jerusalem

Greetings, How did the border crossing go? We are going Cairo/Taba Petra the end of May. Suggestions? Cost? how much time did it take?

egypt
8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: taxi cab from Eilat to Jerusalem

Hi, can someone let me know if the sherut runs 24 hours a day from Eilat to Jerusalem? How much should we expect to pay? We are a group of 6 people and we are crossing the Border at Taba. Thanks much!

Eilat, Israel
Destination Expert
for Taba, Eilat
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: taxi cab from Eilat to Jerusalem

There are no organised Sherut service from Eilat. A taxi from the border to Jerusalem will be around $ 240 for four. There is only one taxi which will take 6 comfortably and that will be around $ 280.

A taxi to the central bus station is around $ 10

A one way rent a car is for a minimum of three days and is around

$ 120

Ottawa
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: taxi cab from Eilat to Jerusalem

I think I've connect with Douglas on the Frommers board, but I too am leaning more towards renting a car in Eilat, driving to Ein Gedi (I'm staying at the Kibbutz Resort Hotel for two days), and then driving on to Jerusalem.

Questions for you (sorry Douglas, I asked you this on the Frommers site): Can anybody recommend a good car rental company in Eilat where I could rent for three days and then drop off in Jerusalem? I will be getting to Jerusalem on a Saturday, so can I still drop off?

Any recommendations? I noticed above that this would probably cost around $120 USD (I'm Canadian, so it's around the same).

Thanks, Eva