We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling in Gulf of Aqaba

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Snorkeling in Gulf of Aqaba

This is kind of a strange question, but I am crossing into Israel at Arava later this year. I am interested in being able to snorkel in the Gulf of Aqaba. If I drive down to Eilat, are there beaches there where I will be able to go into the sea?

Thank you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling in Gulf of Aqaba

Yes

israel
Destination Expert
for Mitspe Ramon
Level Contributor
734 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling in Gulf of Aqaba

There are many beaches that you can snorkel off including a couple that hire you equipment - the best in my opinion is the Israel Nature Reserves Authourity "Coral Beach Reserve" on the southern side of Eilat. They hire equipment, the snorkeling is good and they have changing rooms and showers - there is a minimal entrance fee but that goes to nature preservation in Israel.

Have fun

Adam

Bracknell, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling in Gulf of Aqaba

Coral Beach, 2-3 miles south of Eilat is the answer. It is a beautiful place, unspoilt. There is an entrance fee to the beach, and there is a kiosk where you can hire snorkelling equipment. But have your passport ready, you need to submit this when hiring equipment. Because there is a rope barrier where the beach slopes into the gentle waves, the entry into the sea itself is at the end of one of two piers, about 30 metres long, jutting into the sea. Once in the water, you will be facing an underwater cliff teeming with coral and tropical fish. The water is crystal clear, with a blueish colour. Just one piece of advice if it suits you, that is before snorkelling, buy a single-use underwater camera. This may look cheap and nasty, but I used one to take nearly thirty terrific underwater pictures. There are also table and chairs on the beach for refreshments, which you can buy nearby at Coral Beach Hotel. Good luck!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
323 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling in Gulf of Aqaba

Sauna, Do you know how this compares to Dahab? Are such snorkling and throw away cameras available there as well?

Bracknell, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling in Gulf of Aqaba

Diane, I have not been to Dahab, but if you are unsure whether single-use cameras are sold there or not, I strongly advice you to buy one before you arrive. Often they are stocked in the photography section of large pharmacies or superstores. If not, then it is almost certain to find them in any pharmacy at the airport departure lounge. I'll be surprised if you can't find any within the resort itself.

As for snorkelling equipment, I would think it's most certain you'll see an equipment hire kiosk either at your hotel or nearby. Always present your passport when applying to hire. Best of luck!

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Level Contributor
323 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling in Gulf of Aqaba

I haven't looked but are the underwater throwaways that common that you can find them at non resort areas. I wouldn't think so but I will look and keep it in mind as I prepare for my trip in May.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,918 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling in Gulf of Aqaba

Dahab has excellent facilities and snorkeling. There are multiple areas with those in the southern part of town being a little nicer, in my opinion.

I don't know about cameras, but the Blue Hole has all the other things you'll need. You may want to call them first to get pricing, hours, and rental costs first

8. Re: Snorkeling in Gulf of Aqaba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2009, 12:23