We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sharm-Eilat-Aqaba-Sharm in a day - over adventurous ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
190 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Sharm-Eilat-Aqaba-Sharm in a day – over adventurous ?

Hi, first off thanks for all the great info on this form – really helpful to read through the advice and suggestions when planning a holiday.

We are travelling to Sharm on June 26th for 8 nights and I was hoping to take advantage of Sharm’s proximity to Israel and Jordan to visit Eilat and Aqaba by private taxi. I’m still researching this and was wondering a) If this is feasible, and b) if so, if anyone has any advice.

My rough itinerary is:

Depart Sharm 5.30

Arrive Israeli Border 8.30

Arrive Eliat 9.00

Depart Eliat 14.00

Arrive Jordanian Border 14.20

Arrive Aqaba 14.30

Depart Aqaba 19.00

Depart Eilat 22.30

Depart Israeli border 23.00

Arrive Sharm 02.00

We’re on a fairly tight budget, I’m estimating the taxi from Sharm-Border will cost about £120 (L.E.1200) return – I’ll try and negotiate with a taxi company when we get to Sharm to do us a deal for the guaranteed pick up and return.

I know is a pretty adventurous day but I think it could be done. Would love some constructive criticism or advice from anyone who’s done all or some of the legs of this journey.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,405 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sharm-Eilat-Aqaba-Sharm in a day – over adventurous ?

We love having people come and visit Israel, and I'm sure the same of Jordanians for their country, but I am a bit perplexed - what are you looking for in such a short visit to either country? Assuming your time estimates are accurate you will have 5 hours in Eilat and less than that in Aqaba. In reality, you will probably have less, as estimates usually don't work out that closely.

It would seem to me a much better use of your time to either spend all of this time in one city or the other - or to skip this completely and simply come back to Israel a different time for a "real" visit.

London, United...
Level Contributor
190 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sharm-Eilat-Aqaba-Sharm in a day – over adventurous ?

Hi Oreets,

I know I don’t have much time in each place, wish I could spend two weeks in Egypt, two weeks in Israel and two weeks in Jordan but I don’t think my boss will agree to that request unfortunately !

I plan on visiting Tel-Aviv and Jerusalem next year to visit Israel properly, I just thought that with the above trip I’d get a small taste of Israel (and Jordan) and hopefully have dinner and a few drinks on the way back in Eilat. Plus I’ve never been to Israel or Jordan before so can tick those countries off (sort of !).

Many thanks,

Craig

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,376 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sharm-Eilat-Aqaba-Sharm in a day – over adventurous ?

Eilat is a typical beach resort town and there is nothing uniquely "Israeli" about it. Why spend a whole day (and 6+ hours driving and crossing a border twice) just to see and do more-or-less what you can see in Sharm , Dahab, etc ? You will be coming to Israel next year anyway so why waste a day of your vacation this year ?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
435 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sharm-Eilat-Aqaba-Sharm in a day – over adventurous ?

After visiting Sharm, Eilat and Aqaba myself, I think your plan is doable but not recommended.

Both Eilat and Aqaba's main attractions are hotels, desert scenery, beaches and diving/snorkeling. Since you've got all these things in abundance in Sharm, there is really no point to your day trip. This is even more so if you plan on "properly" visiting Israel next year.

The biggest difference you'll notice compared to Sharm are the many Hebrew speaking people (and you can find that in London as well...). Aqaba will be even more similar to Sharm- a pretty small Arab town center with reort hotels along the beach. In shirt, I'd recomend both Eilat and Aqaba but not to someone who's staying in Sharm.

Take a day trip to St. Catherine's Monastery or to Dahab (assuming the security situation is ok). You'll get much better value for your time and money.

BTW, I can think of safer experiences than taking a 3 hour long midnight ride in the desert with a 1984 model Peugeot station wagon taxi.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,711 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sharm-Eilat-Aqaba-Sharm in a day – over adventurous ?

I would not take this very long drive to be in Israel/Jordan for several hours. Aqaba is a just a town with very little to offer and Eilat, while a tourist town which offers water sports, desert hiking and an air conditioned mall, is not worth come from Sharm for. Spend time in the Sinai peninsula and enjoy the sites there. When you come to Israel next year we will help you plan your itinerary.

Additionally, when going from country to country you must include in your expenses the cost of visas and the time involved in going from country to country and taking taxis/buses from point to point.

Chana

Israel

Eilat, Israel
Destination Expert
for Taba, Eilat
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sharm-Eilat-Aqaba-Sharm in a day – over adventurous ?

In short, crazy idea. Lots of people travel from Sharm to Eiat to either spend the day in Eilat going to the Coral World, Dolphin Reef for swimming with the dolphins, shopping and have a good pint of Guinness or passing through to go to Petra or Jerusalem for the day. However, to come all that way and spend a little time AND go to Aqaba you'll spend the day traveling and queuing to cross 4 sets of borders, not an ideal way of spending a holiday.

If you want just Eilat I can get you discounts for activities.

London, United...
Level Contributor
190 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sharm-Eilat-Aqaba-Sharm in a day – over adventurous ?

Well that's me told then !

Cheers for all the advice guys, I gues it is technically do-able but I guess that doesn't mean you should do it !

I may visit Eilat still though for a day though and if I do I may drop you a message Bluesman - thank you very much for your kind offer.

Thank you again for all the advice, hopefully I'll bug you all in a year for some help with my planned Tel-Aviv trip !

8. Re: Sharm-Eilat-Aqaba-Sharm in a day – over adventurous ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 11:42