A bunch of friends (10 of us!) are planning to travel to Tel Aviv at the end of Jan 2013. We plan to tour Jerusalem for a day or two, drive over to Jordan to visit the Dead Sea, Petra, Wadi Rum and Aqaba. I have visited Jordan before but not Israel, and wondered logistically how things work.
I have read other topics but could not find what i'm looking for, can you help?
1. Is it possible to rent a car in Tel Aviv, take it over to Jordan via Jerusalem and Amman crossing (i'm hearing a lot of Eilat, however we would like to travel via Amman) and return it back to Tel Aviv?
2. If it's a problem driving an Israeli plate car in Jordan, is it feasible to drop of the car near the Jericho and hire a car that we can drive into Jordan?
3. Is it possible to arrive during Friday night or Saturday in TLV to pick up the car? How strict are they with regards to the Sabbath?
4. Any ideas how long it takes to cross the borders?
5. Any other tips on passport stamps, dos and don'ts?
Thank you in advance,