We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eilat. Tour to Petra, Jordan.

Varberg, Sweden
Level Contributor
57 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Eilat. Tour to Petra, Jordan.

Hi.

I wonder how we ( 2 p ) can get to Petra, Jordan the cheapest way from Eilat?

Thanks

/Peter

Varberg, Sweden
Level Contributor
57 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eilat. Tour to Petra, Jordan.

Sorry, I have to learn the search function ;)

Kendal, United...
Level Contributor
117 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eilat. Tour to Petra, Jordan.

I am also considering a trip to Petra in 2013. I'm on a tight budget but too old to consider hostels and roughing it. I want to see Petra and the Wadi but some of the stories on here are offputting, especially for a lone female. It seems to be that one combines thr Petra trip with visits to other parts of the region - but how to find out whats on offer?

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,922 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eilat. Tour to Petra, Jordan.

Try Desert Eco-Tours. The price is very reasonable for what you get. The entrace to Petra itself is very expensive for a single day and even if you go on your own, you will be paying the admission fee and the transportations costs, meals, etc. It is worth it to do a guided tour, and in my opinion, having gone to Jordan with my daughter, much more comfortable being with a group than traveling as a single female. Jordanians are very friendly but unfortunately many men don't respect 'personal space' of women traveling alone.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,910 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eilat. Tour to Petra, Jordan.

I agree that your best bet is a guided tour departing from Eilat, which includes transportation, entrance fees, sometimes lunch, so there are no surprises. The cost for doing the tour on your own may save you a few dollars (very few) but the headache isn't worth it. Also note that border taxes are $55 on top of any other costs for the tour should you do this on your own. Shop around there are several companies that offer tours such as Thru- us, Ahalan Olympus and that recommended above.

Chana

Israel

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eilat. Tour to Petra, Jordan.

Cheapest way (I think):

There is a bus that leave at 6:30am from Aqaba to Perta (Wadi Musa) - well, at least there was this winter. Cost is $8. It returns at 4pm.

What would suggest is that stay one night in Wadi Musa and if you're on the cheap, stay at Rocky Mountain Hotel - but read my review so you know what you're getting into. Its an old hotel, more like a hostel, but with great owners. Staying the night will cut the entrance fee to Petra by about half. Hotel will cost about $40.

So.....

1. Taxi to border from Eilat.

2. Get some JDs at ATM, pay fees in JD

3. Taxi to bus station.

4. Jett bus to Wadi Musa

5. Drop luggage at hotel, buy TWO day pass to Petra

6. Visit Petra balance of day, self tour, say NO (La) to everyone who approaches you.

7. Night at hotel, free breakfast

8. Visit Petra 2nd day

9. Get luggage from hotel, take bus to Aqaba

10. Taxi to border...back to Eilat.

Take food and water into Petra if you can; it's expensive inside.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,447 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eilat. Tour to Petra, Jordan.

See in Israel forum, Frequently Asked Questions, upper right -- a treasure trove of information on visiting Petra from Israel.

Douglas Duckett

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
620 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Eilat. Tour to Petra, Jordan.

Everybody see things a bit differently, but I think there are some things regarding Petra that would be good for everybody to know who intends to visit. I think DogmeatToo has a very good suggestion, just a few remarks:

1. Make sure you visit in the early morning. I cannot stress this enough. The first morning hours Petra is fresh and calm, after 11-12 sometime, it's not. Many times more hawkers, donkeys, other tourists etc. etc. Make sure you're far from the entrance or the Siq at lunchtime... My suggestion would be the cafe up at Ad-Deir.

2. Therefore, do stay close to the entrance, whether it's Rocky Mountain or Mövenpick or something else. Wadi Moussa is a very dull place in its own, so you do not want to spend time walking through the village and you want to be very fit when your day starts because you are going to walk more than you thought when you're inside... Most people we saw did at least 3 hours of constant walking, and that's in terrain - if you're not fit enough, you can ride a guided mule.

Of course you can take a taxi but staying at the entrance would be the most stress-free solution in my opinion.

3. Buy a two-day-pass, ideally combined with a two nights stay -where you visit Petra on day 2 and 3, not day 1 and 2. So you visit in the morning both days, obviously.

Finally: Nobody is interested in any proof of where or how long you are staying overnight when you buy your tickets. Just saying...

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
822 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eilat. Tour to Petra, Jordan.

I visited Petra from Aqaba on my own (single, late middle aged female) so can't comment on the tours suggested. I do agree about staying 2 nights and also include Wadi Rum, I agree with Anders about visiting first thing in the morning. I found it problem free and had no unwelcome comments from Jordanian men but then again I am no longer a young female. My understanding was that you had to produce evidence about where you were staying before buying tickets but I can't remember if I was asked for such.

dancingBarb, I cannot speak about Jordanian hostels as I didn't stay in one but as far as Israeli hostels are concerned you should check these out. I stayed in 3 different hostels in Israel and have nothing but praise for all of them. Do not think hostels here, they have single rooms, en suite with AC. I also stayed in a good fully fledged hotel in Zichron Yaakov and this was by far my least favourite in Israel. DO NOT discount hostels in Israel, they are excellent.

9. Re: Eilat. Tour to Petra, Jordan.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 November 2012, 15:05
10. Re: Eilat. Tour to Petra, Jordan.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 November 2012, 15:05