We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

border crossing Eilat-Aqaba and Eilat -Taba

Kongens Lyngby...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Topic
border crossing Eilat-Aqaba and Eilat -Taba

We will arrive by rented car to Eilat, intend to leave it at the borderpost to Jordan; take a taxi to Petra, stay overnight, return to Eilat, continue to the border to Egypt and return back to Israel some days later.

Questions:

Is there a safe place to leave the car at the border to Jordan?

Is there a sfe place to leave the cr at the border to Egypt?

Is it possible to bring the car across the border to Egypt?

Thank you

Henrik, Denmark

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,645 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: border crossing Eilat-Aqaba and Eilat -Taba

Depending on where you are going in Egypt you may want to consider taking the ferry from Aqaba to Nuweiba, Egypt. It will save you a couple border transits, the Israeli fees, and could be fun.

There is a parking lot on the Israeli side in which your rental can safely sit.

You can't take your Israeli rental to Egypt.

Dr. Z

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,899 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: border crossing Eilat-Aqaba and Eilat -Taba

Hello Henrik!

1) There is a parking lot in front of the border crossing with Jordan (called "Arava" and officially named after "Yitzhak Rabin") which you may park you car there. I don't think it is "guarded" but I've heard of some people that used this parking lot to leave their rental for a couple of days, with no problem.

2) There is NO (real) parking lot in the Taba border crossing. You'll see it when you get there - the topographical structure leaves about 45m width for the road and the crossing. While do "technically" have a parking lot - it is not paved and a bit far from the terminal (they even issue a statement about it - iaa.gov.il/Rashat/… )

3) Yes! Taba is the only crossing rental cars can go through - but with a limitation: rental car can go through only to Taba area!

Beware - this should be a lengthy procedure with a lot of fees, I'm not sure it's worth it. (for example you might be needed to deal with doing translations of vehicle license etc.. I've never heard of anybody who did it with a rental, only with private cars - in which translation is required. There is a branch of a transportation company in the terminal - MEMSI where this can be done on-spot, but it costs. You also need to pay for switching to Egyptian license plates, exit fees are higher with a car etc.. )

Some more remarks:

* It is very easy to get to the border crossings from Eilat, either by taxi (both), sherut ("Arava" only) or direct bus ("Taba" only), it's only 15-20 minutes ride. Also, it is very easy to get around Eilat without a car. Therefore, you may return your car or leave it in a guarded parking lot in Eilat during your whole stay in the region (Eilat/Aqaba/Taba).

* I strongly recommend AGAINST the ferry from Aqaba to Nuweiba. The ferry is slow, often doesn't go on time (I've heard of 4 hours late depart) and VERY costy. Paying "double" fee (Arava & Taba crossings) is not even half of the ferry fee. And- it's only once a day, which is very limiting (border crossings are open most of the day).

Useful links:

Taba border terminal (Israeli side): www.iaa.gov.il/Rashat/en-US/Borders/Taba/

Arava (Yitzhak Rabin) border terminal (Israeli side): www.iaa.gov.il/Rashat/en-US/Borders/Arava/

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,645 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: border crossing Eilat-Aqaba and Eilat -Taba

It was only a suggestion for the OP to see that there is another way to get to Egypt....not necessarily the best way!

The "fast" ferry takes about 90 minutes and their latest info shows the cost to be $70.

Dr. Z

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,947 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: border crossing Eilat-Aqaba and Eilat -Taba

I think the best bet is to return the car when you arrive in Eilat. It is one thing to leave it overnight but leaving it for days at a time is something else. In all the times I have rented cars in Israel, I have always understood that the car must remain in Israeli territory at all times as insurance is not valid if you cross borders. I think what Amos is referring to is valid for Israelis wanting to take their vehicles across but I am pretty sure that no rental company would permit you to switch license plates and take their vehicle uninsured out of the country.

The cost of a cab from the Jordanian border to the Egyptian border is not very much, less than a one day car rental. There are taxis on the Egyptian side, also inexpensive.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,899 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: border crossing Eilat-Aqaba and Eilat -Taba

anmejoshme has got a good point - while the Taba crossing allow rental cars to go through (to the Taba area only), your rental company itself may not allow this! As for the insurance - you can do it at the MEMSI branch at the border.

(both private cars and rentals are allowed - see iaa.gov.il/Rashat/… )

Bottom line - my advice (and anmejoshme's too) is to return the car upon arriving to Eilat. Will save you time and money, but it's your call.

Edited: 23 February 2013, 11:50
Taba, Egypt
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: border crossing Eilat-Aqaba and Eilat -Taba

Walk through the border at Eilat in to Taba and you are sure to find a taxi waiting - no stress and comes with a driver who knows where they're going - you'll need to pay as you come out of Israel and walk through in to Egypt. As you come in to Egypt get in a taxi, then you'll come through where you'll need to pay to come in to Egypt and the taxi will take you to your destination :-)

aqaba
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: border crossing Eilat-Aqaba and Eilat -Taba

rent cars are not allowed to leave the country

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,899 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: border crossing Eilat-Aqaba and Eilat -Taba

>> rent cars are not allowed to leave the country

hanna t,

which country are you referring to?

You indicate that you are from Jordan. Indeed, rental cars do not go through the border crossings between Israel and Jordan.

However, rental cars can get through at Taba crossing (between Israel and Egypt) - with a limitation - to stay at the Taba area. This has been already discussed in the thread.

9. Re: border crossing Eilat-Aqaba and Eilat -Taba

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2013, 14:34
Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
1 post
133 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: border crossing Eilat-Aqaba and Eilat -Taba

Yes, there is a safe place to leave your rented car at the israeli side of the border. I did this 15 days ago, we left the car in Israel, visited Petra and then came back to Israel and the car was there with no problem.