We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming Eilat and go cross the border on Saturday

Which Eilat hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston
Level Contributor
302 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Coming Eilat and go cross the border on Saturday

My itinerary turns out that I will come to Eilat from Masada on a Saturday (in Oct) and go cross the border to Jordan. I realized that the rental car company does not open on Saturday. I just checked Egged bus schedule and can't find the Saturday schedule (only jumps to Sunday). Now other question is the taxi service in Eilat. If I can get a bus but I still need a taxi to take me to the border. How's the taxi service availability on Saturday in Eilat?

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
8,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming Eilat and go cross the border on Saturday

There are no buses from Masada to Eilat on Saturday. You will have to revise your itinerary.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,300 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming Eilat and go cross the border on Saturday

How are you getting to Masada on Saturday? There are taxis in Eilat to take you to the border if you are already there on Shabbat.

Chana

Israel

Boston
Level Contributor
302 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming Eilat and go cross the border on Saturday

I plan to take the last bus from Jerusalem to Masada on Friday afternoon and stay there for the night and go up for sunrise. Then take bud from Masada to Eilat for border crossing. The problem is that it is on Saturday. I was planning to rant the car but just realized that returning the rental is not possible on Saturday since the rental car offices are closed.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,093 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming Eilat and go cross the border on Saturday

What you are planning is impossible. Are you staying in Jordan after your cross the border or returning to Israel. If returning to Israel, you could rent a car on Friday, drive yourself to Masada, drive yourself to Eilat, leave the car in Eilat for the day or two in Jordan and then pick up and return the rental. The only way to do the trip on your day would be by taxi--which are hard to get in Masada area(need to arrange in advance) and it would be very very expensive!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,300 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming Eilat and go cross the border on Saturday

As mgbb stated, adjust your itinerary to fit the transportation options (what is your itinerary, perhaps we can help with the adjustments?) If you are not aware on the Sabbath many businesses are closed. That means from about 3 p.m. Friday afternoon until 7 p.m. Saturday night there is no public transportation and most shops are closed. Offices (including car rentals are closed from around 1 on Friday until Sunday morning. When visiting Israel an itinerary must be built around these limitations, there is really no way around it without very high monetary cost.

Chana

Israel

Boston
Level Contributor
302 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming Eilat and go cross the border on Saturday

Chana, I will share the itinerary later. My flight has been booked and I will have to work with it. I need to get to Eilat on Friday from Tel Aviv by bus and go cross the border to Jordan before 8pm on Nov 1, which is Friday. I searched Egged bus has Friday schedule from Tel Aviv to Eilat (not on Nov 1 since they just have one week schedule online). If I arrive in Eilat by 3pm or 5pm, can I get taxi to the border?

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
8,888 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coming Eilat and go cross the border on Saturday

Taxis in Eilat (and the rest of the country) operate 24/7.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,382 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coming Eilat and go cross the border on Saturday

You can rely on the schedule for any Friday for general planning on getting to Eilat on Friday, Nov 1st. Please note that you need to reserve the tickets in advance for buses to Eilat. Your other option is to catch a domestic flight from Tel Aviv to Eilat.

Mind the opening hours of the border crossing itself: iaa.gov.il/Rashat/en-US/Borders/Arava/Inform…

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,300 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coming Eilat and go cross the border on Saturday

Will you be departing from Tel Aviv the city or the airport? Will you have stayed overnight in Tel Aviv or are you arriving there on Friday?

This may have an influence on your proposed transportation option.

Chana

Israel

London
Level Contributor
53 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coming Eilat and go cross the border on Saturday

Hi there,

We will be in Israel, based in Tel Aviv, August 15-26. We would like to go to Petra, probably cross the border from Eilat. I have been told that there might be some political unrest. Is that the truth? Is it OK to go to Jordan from Israel and back these days?

Many thanks for your responses!

Edited: 02 August 2013, 19:12