We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth hiring a car in Eilat or not?

Finland
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Is it worth hiring a car in Eilat or not?

We're soon going to Eilat for a week. We're planning on staying in the area and visiting the local sights (Underwater Observatory, Coral Beach etc.). I had a couple of questions - is it worth hiring a car for this, or will it be enough to get around by taxi? Also, if you hire a car, can you generally do it via the hotel desk, or do you have to do it via the car hire companies in town (I've noticed most have them have their offices near each other). We'll be staying in the north beach area. Many thanks for your advice!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,537 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth hiring a car in Eilat or not?

If you don't intend to head outside town to explore Timna, for instance, no car is needed within the city of Eilat. It's a tiny place and taxis will get you everywhere.

Finland
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth hiring a car in Eilat or not?

Many thanks for the info. If we do decide to visit Timna, we could hire a car for a day or two. I also read that you can drive round the Hai Bar wildlife reserve, so perhaps a two day hire would be fine if we do decide to go to Timna and the wildlife reserve. Thanks again for your info!

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,916 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth hiring a car in Eilat or not?

Hire the car via the Internet and not by going to the office or the hotel desk. It will be cheaper and the car will be there for you. Do that even if you are already in Eilat.

Finland
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth hiring a car in Eilat or not?

Thanks for the tip! Yes, I've decided to hire a car for a couple of days to see a few things out of town. I'll book it on the Internet as you suggested. Thanks.

Edited: 15 February 2014, 11:55
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
835 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it worth hiring a car in Eilat or not?

driving and parking in Eilat was no trouble and having a car provided a lot of flexibility to visit different beaches and sites easily.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it worth hiring a car in Eilat or not?

I traveled Eilat in January via taxi/public bus. the bus schedule is usually ever 30 min/60 min, if I remember. Taxis here are cheap and easy to hail. Good luck! this is a wonderful town; I loved my stay here.

Finland
Level Contributor
13 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it worth hiring a car in Eilat or not?

Thank you for all your comments. We are now back from Eilat and had a great holiday. In the end, I hired a small car for 4 days (out of our 7-day holiday) from Eldan, costing USD 91. Having two young kids, it gave us the flexibility to set off on a trip when we felt like it without too much planning. We drove out to the Red Canyon (lovely!) and had a short drive in Timna. The car was also handy for the local sights (the underwater observatory, Princess Beach, Coral Beach) as it meant we could pop from place to place as we wished.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,910 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it worth hiring a car in Eilat or not?

Great to hear you had a successful trip and that hiring a car was perfect for you.

Chana

Israel

9. Re: Is it worth hiring a car in Eilat or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2015, 07:18