We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get to wildlife and nature activities without a car

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
165 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
How to get to wildlife and nature activities without a car

I'm going on a very last minute trip to Israel - my first visit. Since I enjoy the outdoors and wildlife, Eilat has caught my attention. I prefer to not drive in an unfamiliar place, so I'm curious about the best ways to go to these activities without renting a car. Please share advice about transportation.

* Underwater Observatory Marine Park

* Coral Beach Nature Reserve (snorkeling)

* Red Canyon (hiking)

* Dolphin Reef (viewing, not snorkeling/swimming)

* Timna National Park

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,435 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get to wildlife and nature activities without a car

I'd really reconsider not driving a car -- it's very easy in that part of the country. Otherwise, you'll need a driving guide -- very expensive at $600-750 USD per day.

Douglas Duckett

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
165 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get to wildlife and nature activities without a car

Labatt - I agree, I don't want a car. I'm looking for advice on how to get to those destinations without a car.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,891 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get to wildlife and nature activities without a car

Only the Red Canyon and Timna Park need a car. You can join tours for these places. I do not recommend going to the Red Canyon on your own anyway. Check tour operators like Desert Eco Tours to see what they offer. There are others of course. The other sites can be reached on foot, depending where your hotel is, or by a short taxi ride. Lots of taxis available and not expensive.

See also the Birding Park www.eilat-city.net/Article-ltr.aspx…

Edited: 08 March 2014, 05:08
Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
481 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get to wildlife and nature activities without a car

You can reach Underwater Observatory Marine Park, Coral Beach Nature Reserve and Dolphin Reef by public transportation. Bus no. 15 from Central Bus Station or from the hotels area.

Schedule: From 8AM every 30-45 minutes at morning and once in an hour at evenings until 9PM.

For more info check out Egged website: http://egged.co.il/Eng/

Enjoy your stay

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,435 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get to wildlife and nature activities without a car

Taking a cab or bus within Eilat is not hard -- I agree that you don't need a car there. But your options for the other sites is a tour company like Desert Eco Tours (I join in HIGHLY recommending them, though there are other companies) or a private guide.

Douglas Duckett

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
165 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How to get to wildlife and nature activities without a car

Thanks for all the advice! I'm glad to see that most of the places are walkable or reasonable taxi rides from the hotels area. I'll look for a tour for the Red Canyon and Timna National Park visits.

7. Re: How to get to wildlife and nature activities without a car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2015, 05:21