We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Petra-Eilat snorkel-Jerusalem

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Petra-Eilat snorkel-Jerusalem

We will be traveling in late August from a 3 night visit to Wadi Rum and Petra in late August. We will be transported to the Aqaba-Eilat border crossing to walk across on a Thursday. I think that we plan to take the 2:15 bus to Jerusalem. There is a later bus also. We would also like to snorkel in the red sea. I have several questions: What time should we plan to be at the border to allow enough time to make the bus, if we have reservations? Does the Coral Beach Nature Reserve always have the all-inclusive National Parks pass available for purchase? Last time, we started at Caesarea and they only had 6 park passes. Will there be a place to store our 2 carry-on bags and 2 daypacks at the reserve? About how much will taxi rides from the border to the reserve to the bus station cost? Or are these in walking distance? I am having issues finding the info on googlemaps and the nature reserve website. The flight times were more expensive, didn't seem like the times were that convenient and we would have the extra waiting time. Thank you.

Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
344 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Petra-Eilat snorkel-Jerusalem

The Hebrew page for the Coral Beach Nature Reserve (but perversely not the English one) has an e-mail address, so you could try contacting them directly concerning storage lockers and so on (not something I've ever seen at a National Reserve, I'm afraid).

st.almogim@npa.org.il

Neither the border crossing to the Central Bus Station or the bus station to the reserve (which is to the south of Eilat the town) are walking distance. Local DEs may be able to advise you about transport options.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,118 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Petra-Eilat snorkel-Jerusalem

No one can promise you that any park will have the passes available.

There will not be any place to store your luggage, unless out of the goodness of their hearts the staff will agree to do you a favor. No parks have storage facilities.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,768 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Petra-Eilat snorkel-Jerusalem

Bus 15 from the Eilat central bus station will take you to the reserve. It goes every 30-60 minutes, and hourly on Saturdays. The return bus is route 16. This isn't as silly as it sounds!

For anyone who is interested - and this is today's piece of utterly useless knowledge! - the buses in both directions make the same circuit all round the hotel area, with a lot of stops at the various hotels - same way round, same stops in the same order, whether they are going to the reserve or back from the reserve. Drivers would go crazy if they had to explain to all the passengers at each of those stops every time that no, they are going in the OTHER direction!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
435 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Petra-Eilat snorkel-Jerusalem

When there's no traffic, crossing the border takes about 30-40 minutes, but you could always get stuch behind a large group.

It's about 10 km south from the border crossing to the coral reserve and i recommend taking a taxi. See here:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/29.5800531,34.9732034/29.510635,34.922753/@29.5434395,34.9417686,13z/data=!4m4!4m3!1m0!1m0!3e0

Ask the taxi to use the meter (it's a pretty straightforward drive so a low chance of being tricked). It should cost about 50 shekels.

The ride from the reserve to the bus station is a bit shorter. You could take a bus if your schedule allows it.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/29.510635,34.922753/Central+Bus+Station,+Eilat,+Israel/@29.5333794,34.9215501,14z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x150071f88ce3514b:0x32228de60de07041!2m2!1d34.952165!2d29.556206!3e0

Oceanside...
Level Contributor
52 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Petra-Eilat snorkel-Jerusalem

Thank you for the maps and links. I love the TA forums!

Eilat, Israel
Destination Expert
for Taba, Eilat
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Petra-Eilat snorkel-Jerusalem

You can store your luggage at the central bus station then take the bus to the nature reserve.

Eilat, Israel
Destination Expert
for Taba, Eilat
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Petra-Eilat snorkel-Jerusalem

tripadvisor.co.uk/…58119257

8. Re: Petra-Eilat snorkel-Jerusalem

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2015, 06:16