We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants with a Sukkah

Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Restaurants with a Sukkah

Does anybody know which restaurants will have (or have historically had) a Sukkah over Sukkot?

I already called the Ranch House and they will not have one.

Thanks!

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,922 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants with a Sukkah

Most kosher restaurants have a sukkah - if they have sufficient space outside.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,099 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants with a Sukkah

Even fast food kosher places have Sukkah, not something fancy though.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,696 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants with a Sukkah

According to Jewish Law, I believe any kosher restaurant must supply a sukkah during Sukkot. But as Shoshi said, sometimes the sukkah is the most basic of basics. Are you looking for a sukkah in order to adhere to the minimal requirements of halakha? Or are you looking for an aesthetic experience?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,327 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants with a Sukkah

Depending on the amount of outdoor space the restaurant has access to, their sukkah may seat fewer people than they have room for indoors, so if you are a larger group you should check this out in advance to be sure they have one.

Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants with a Sukkah

Thanks for the responses.

I am asking as I am an orthodox jews (with an appreciation for good food!) and want to make advance bookings in restaurants that will have a sukkah.

Having called some restaurants, staff I spoke to were usually unsure if there will be a sukkah or not.

From what davetheguide is saying does this mean that any kosher restaurant with no space for a sukkah will not be open for chol hamoed? As I said previously, Ranch House told me that they will not have a Sukkah - could this be a mistake?

Many thanks,

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,327 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants with a Sukkah

Kosher restaurants are not obligated by any authority to have a sukkah - obviously it is a service that they want to provide their customers. Sadly, I would not depend on the answers you get right now from a random person who answers the phone - it may be better to phrase the question as "did you have a sukkah last year" and if they don't know ask to speak to a manager, etc.

There are kosher restaurants that are open on sukkot and do not have a sukkah - I have even seen at least one large hotel, that is a Jewish hotel and is kosher and does not have a sukkah.

Sorry that this information is frustrating but that is what you have to work with.

Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants with a Sukkah

Thanks Oreets!

I have booked to stay at the Hilton - I hope that they have a sukkah for the meals on the Chaggim!? (and that this is not the hotel that you are referring to?!)

Is sukkot generally a busy time in Eilat (like Pesach?) Am I right in thinking that if I want to eat in some of the popular restaurants on Chol Hamoed I should make bookings before I arrive?

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,099 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants with a Sukkah

Sukkot is far away so one cannot trust such an answer. It depends who you asked. It also depends on the way the restaurant is situated, if it is open to the street or a inner yard, or it is within the hotel. I suppose it is too soon to book. You can book when you arrive, even a few hours before your dinner/lunch. A kosher restaurant in a 5 star hotel and no Sukka? Unlikely.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,327 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants with a Sukkah

No the Hilton is not the hotel I was referring to - the experience I had was in a hotel in Jerusalem. My guess is that the Hilton will have a sukkah and you can definitely get a reliable answer to that question now if you e-mail the hotel manager.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,324 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurants with a Sukkah

While you can not generalize,as I write this from my room in the Dan Panorama,Jerusalem, I can look out the window and see the walls and in place scach ( spelling?) for their succah.