We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hike in the Galilee area

New York
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hike in the Galilee area

We are 2 people in our early 30's looking for a great hike in the Galilee area. We are both very active. Any suggestions?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,743 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hike in the Galilee area

Definitely check out Gamla in the Golan, which offers spectacular natural scenery along with amazing and chilling ruins from a community destroyed by the Romans in the Great Revolt of 66-70 C.E. An unforgettable place.

Douglas Duckett

New York
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hike in the Galilee area

Has anyone ever done a hike with Israel Extreme? We are looking for a good hiking company.

Israel
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hike in the Galilee area

You really have to know whst you are doing when hiking in Israel. Some areas are army areas, others, especially in the Golan and Gamla region still have live mine fields from the 6 day war. I don't want to scare you but make you aware that you have carry good and detailed maps and receive instructions from experts. I would recommend that you get in contact with the Israeli Society for Protection of Nture. They have an excellent department that guides and advises hikers. They also organize hiking tours from easy to challenging. Some of them for English speaking tourists. I suggest you check their site:

http://www.aspni.org/about_aspni.html

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hike in the Galilee area

I'm partial to Nahal Yehudia. The trail is lovely and includes waterfalls and swimming through pools of water (bring a waterproof backpack, or some plastic bags.

New York
Level Contributor
72 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hike in the Galilee area

Do you know anyone who does a tour through Yehudia? I found one person but they want to charge almost $200 US dollars per hiker

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
905 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hike in the Galilee area

Yehudiyah is, of course, on the Golan. I did a hike there some years ago with a few others. We didn't use a guide - just walked on the road through the sunflower fields until we reached the end, turned left, found the water and followed it down, down, down into the gorge, swam in the clear pools and then climbed out using the ladders installed into the rock... Here's a link to the National Parks page on the Yehudiyah Nature Reserve: http://tinyurl.com/ach5w

For the Galilee - I suggest you take a look at Keshet Cave (up near the Lebanese border... but safe!). Here's some info published by Keren Kayemet L'Yisrael (the Jewish National Fund): In Adamit Park near Shlomi in the Western Galilee, KKL-JNF has prepared a green corner on the ridge which, for decades, has been dry and desolate because of over-grazing. The Park covers some five thousand dunams (1,235 acres). KKL-JNF has planted fruit orchards there, restored traditional farming, prepared a new scenic road, hiking trails and also a trail leading to the well-known cave, Keshet Cave. Along the road are turn-offs to observation points and hiking trails crossing an ancient olive press, beds of spices and perfume and also traces of the Adamit ruins from the bronze age.

You might also enjoy the Nahal Ayoun Nature Reserve, also way up near the Lebanese border. Here's the National Parks page on that area: http://tinyurl.com/yux5dy

If you are into hills (!), you might also enjoy a hike around Mt. Gilboa in the lower Galilee - actually, just near Beit She'an, between the Jordan Valley and the Valley of Yisrael (called Jezreel).

No matter which of these or others you choose, be sure to alert someone as to where you are going and how long you intend to be out hiking. While Israel is a great place for hiking, there is always the possibility of something happening - accidents, falling off a cliff or down a ravine (or being washed away by a flash flood, which happened recently to a group of professional hikers/climbers in Ein Gedi), stuff like that! So, please be careful!

There are many excellent guides up north who give terrific hiking tours. For the first time, I suggest you hire one - and I'd be very surprised to hear a price of $200 per person, unless that's for equipment, possibly rapelling, overnight in the field, etc. - and after you get your "footing" and find your way around the area, a hike on your own would certainly be appropriate.

And have a great time!

suzanne pomeranz, jerusalem, israel

7. Re: Hike in the Galilee area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 03:18