We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mount bental - lookout for golan heights

NJ
Level Contributor
182 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
mount bental - lookout for golan heights

I have been trying to find a map to show me where is Mount Bental. I read that it is a great spot to see an overview of the heights. I know its pretty close to the Syrian border at Quneitra and has significant history in the 6 day war and the Yom Kippor war. Can someone tell me where it is, and whether it is safe to tour there. I am planning on going to Baram Synagogue, then Tzfat, and then head to the Golan Heights. I think this would be a good starting spot. Please help. Thanks.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,310 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mount bental - lookout for golan heights

Are you looking to stay there? It is operated by Kibbutz Meron Golan. Very beautiful site.

I found a phone number for you, 972-04-6960267

Dr. Z

Israel
Level Contributor
736 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mount bental - lookout for golan heights

I agree that Mt. Bental (which is actually a silent volcanic hill) can serve as a starting point for the Golan Heights. It's perfectly safe to get there.

You can use the emap website to find the nearesr Kibbutz, Merom Golan, and then scroll up to find Bental Junction, from which you continue east (right if you come from the Kibbutz) on road 959 to Coffee Anan.

http://www2.emap.co.il/eng_index.asp

Coffe Ana Hebrew website:

http://www.2eat.co.il/anan/

NJ
Level Contributor
182 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mount bental - lookout for golan heights

Dr. Z, thanks for the info. No we don't plan to stay overnight there, I just want to drive around and tour the area. But maybe the Kibbutz you mentioned would allow us to eat lunch there- what do you think.

Or that Coffee Anan place that was recommended. I love places with great scenery. This place looked like it has lots of open windows overlooking the Golan. Might be a nice place to stop for lunch too. What type of food is there, do you know?

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

Arizona
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mount bental - lookout for golan heights

Food is very basic coffee shop stuff -- not a place I'd have more than a coke or cup of coffee. BenTal is one of my personal favorite places -- when you go, walk through the bunker and imagine spending a long winter stationed there! For tourists, it's a 30 minute stop. You can see Lebanon, Syria, Mt. Hermon, and a lovely view of the Israeli Golan, and I'll stop now before I go into an uncontrollable and inconsolable rant.

NJ
Level Contributor
182 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mount bental - lookout for golan heights

We are staying at Kibbutz Degana B the night before, and then traveling north to start our tour of the Golan at Mount Bental lookout, then Qatrin museum, and then a hike through Gamla. What do you think of this plan- I really welcome any thoughts. I am trying to wrap up my planning for our Bar Mitzvah trip in early August. Thank you.

Israel
Level Contributor
736 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: mount bental - lookout for golan heights

Sounds like a nice itinerary. If you like, you can stop for atour at the Golan Heights Winery, near Qatsrin (you can do it after the visit at the museum). There's also a big shopping mall nearby, with places to eat.

NJ
Level Contributor
182 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: mount bental - lookout for golan heights

Guyava, thanks for your reply.

I was thinking of going to Gamla and then doing a hike at Yar Yehuda. I have three kids, ages 7, 9 and 12, so I'm looking for an easy hike. But I don't know if I should chose one of these. If so, which one do you recommend.

8. Re: mount bental - lookout for golan heights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 05:25