We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shabbat in the North

USA
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Shabbat in the North

As part of our family trip in June, we will spend several days in the north - probably based in Rosh Pina. We think we want to see the town of Rosh Pina, Safed, Bet She'an, the Hula Valley preserve, Nimrod's castle and B'nais springs, visit a winery, see the view from Mt. Bental, and visit Rambam's grave. I am sure there are other things we will want to see/do once we are there, but that is what is currently on our to-do list. My question is this: one of the days we will be up there is Saturday. Which of these things should we plan for Saturday -- since I know some places are closed on Saturday. Thank you for your advice.

USA
Level Contributor
1,077 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shabbat in the North

I should have added that also on our to-do list in the North is to see the Bar'am synagogue. And if you don't think any of the places on our to-do list would be appropriate on Saturday, I would be happy to receive suggestions for places that are not on our to-do list, but should be. thanks!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,511 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shabbat in the North

National parks are generally open on Shabbat. Consider combining Gamla (in the Golan) and Bar'am for your Shabbat touring. That would be a nice combo, and a very historical-Jewish way, to spend Shabbat.

Douglas Duckett

Israel
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shabbat in the North

Almost everything on your list ts open on Shabbat. You will not have any problems planning your days.

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shabbat in the North

Safed is not a place I would visit on Shabbat.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,965 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shabbat in the North

Wineries are not open on Shabat either. And as Anon said, Safed.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shabbat in the North

Definitely not Safed.

I was there this Friday with my husband and daughter - we made a wrong turn along the way, and arrived at 2:15pm on friday afternoon, instead of about 1 hour earlier. EVERYTHING was shut.

7. Re: Shabbat in the North

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2010, 07:15