We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safed v Tiberius

orlando
Level Contributor
113 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Safed v Tiberius

We are touring by car in Galilee for 3 days. We have been underwhelmed by most of the reviews of the hotels around Tiberius and we are thinking of staying at teh Artists Colony Innin Safed. ANy feedback as to teh best location for touring around Galilee?

YZD
Toronto
Level Contributor
604 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Safed v Tiberius

If you're looking at touring through the Upper Galilee panhandle, I would suggest Kibbutz Gonen. http://www.nofgo.co.il/en

USA
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safed v Tiberius

We stayed in Rosh Pinna, as a base for touring in the Galil and Golan. We were happy with that decision.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,118 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safed v Tiberius

Tiberias is very hot till October, so stay out. Safed is cooler but what will you do in the evenings? Rosh Pina. Gonen, Hagoshrim, Kfar Gilady, Kfar Blum, Metula are better choices.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,586 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safed v Tiberius

If you are couple I highly recommend the Artists Colony Inn. It is a lovely place with personal service, includes breakfast prepared fresh, in front of you. In addition the proprietor, Jeff, is a licensed tour guide who will be more than happy to help you plan your touring day in the area.

Chana

Israel

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,541 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safed v Tiberius

I would not stay in Safed. While it is a good place to kick back and relax, enjoy the air and the view, it is not convenient for sightseeing around the Sea of Galilee, the Upper Galilee and the Golan. The other suggestions above are much better.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
143 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safed v Tiberius

I second Shoshi's suggestions. There are so many great places to stay in the Galilee, that you really shouldn't spend your nights in Tiberius. I always thought that the beauty of traveling up north is staying somewhere in the country-side, not in a city.

But if you do make your choice between Safed and Tiberius, it's a no-brainer, go for Safed.

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safed v Tiberius

I've enjoyed staying in the hotel at Kibbutz Nof Ginosar on several occasions. The accomodations are basic, simple, but, more than adequate. The breakfast buffet is very good and the location is right on the Sea of Galilee and you just can't beat that.

Kathy

Jordan Valley
Level Contributor
130 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safed v Tiberius

Living close to Tiberias myself, I would not recommend staying there, nor would I suggest Safet to stay.

There are so many very nice Tsimerim near Rosh Pina or in the Galilea or even around the Kinneret (Sea of Galilea) such as Maagen, Ein Gev or Ginosar. It just depends if you our a country or town person.

Neither Tiberias or Safet are so exciting at night, although Tiberias has places to walk around and you could take a night cruise on the lake but basically the hotels aren't that good except the most expensive ones and I think you could get better value for money out of town.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
239 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safed v Tiberius

The reviews of the Artists Colony Safed speak for themselves. They are outstanding and yes Jeff sounds like a great tour guide. While others can tell you if there are better locations I have bee wanting to stay at The Artist's Colony for a long time but have not yet had the chance on my trips to Israel.

I can tell you that I would absolutely not want to stay in Tiberius.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,586 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safed v Tiberius

I agree with sailingdays regarding the Artists Colony in Safed. It is a lovely quaint place within walking distance of all important sites in the area, with plenty of parking. Jeff and is wife are perfect hosts in this homestyle hotel, and as a licensed guide Jeff is always more than willing to help you plan your daily itinerary.

Chana

Israel