We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ramot instead of Nof Ginosar?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,898 posts
215 reviews
Save Topic
Ramot instead of Nof Ginosar?

I couldn't find my old thread, so for the benefit of Davetheguide. . . .

Looks like you will get your wish. Nof Ginosar is booked up the night we wanted, so I think we will be staying at Ramot after all. I know you like it a lot and so did Kathy4HIM, who stayed there in May after Nof Ginosar booked up for her trip. (That place does a lot of group tours and books up EARLY.) I'm sure I will enjoy Ramot. I also have Chantal looking at the Scots Hotel -- almost surely outside of our budget, but we'll get a quote.

Douglas Duckett

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,231 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ramot instead of Nof Ginosar?

Anon also likes Ramot. Its on a mountain so the views should be outstanding. Don't forget the wine :)

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,793 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ramot instead of Nof Ginosar?

You will like Ramot Resort Douglas. The view of Lake Kinneret is fabulous. The atmosphere there is much quieter than at Nof Ginosar. The landscaping amongst the cabins on the property is beautiful. The food's pretty good there too - better than Nof Ginosar in my opinion.

And it's only about 15 minute drive from Capernaum.

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
726 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ramot instead of Nof Ginosar?

I also looked at a few B and B's up there and liked one in Rosh Pinna called Pina Balev. anyone know that place? I also looked at the Pastoral Hotel at Kibbutz Kfar Blum,which was supposed to be recently refurbished and updated, (www.kfarblum-hotel.co.il). I liked the look at the Scot's alot but it was over $400/night!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,793 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ramot instead of Nof Ginosar?

In Upper Galilee, I often recommend using one of the kibbutz hotels such as Pastoral Kfar Blum or Hagoshrim as your base.

The Ramot Resort, in the foothills below the Golan Heights on the eastern shores of Lake Kinneret, is an excellent alternative. Douglas is wise to select that property as his group's base in the north. The Ramot Resort has traditional hotel rooms with balconies overlooking the lake. It also has a two levels of modernized "cabins" scattered around beautifully landscaped grounds.

The Scot's Hotel in Tiberias is geared primarily for the non-Jewish market. It is under the auspices of the Church of Scotland (Presbyterian) and is one of the only hotels in Israel that does NOT adhere to the Jewish dietary laws. It is an upscale property, but IMHO you are better off basing yourself in a rural area in Galilee and not inside the city of Tiberias. The whole point of a Galilee experience in my mind is to experience the countryside.

Edited: 22 November 2011, 19:21
Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,898 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ramot instead of Nof Ginosar?

I'm looking forward to Ramot. Chantal booked our rooms today. Kathy4HIM, are you listening???? :-)

Douglas Duckett

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,898 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ramot instead of Nof Ginosar?

DrJessB, I too re-looked at the Scots Hotel and got a price in that range as well -- no, thanks!

And it's a shame, because it is a beautiful place and I loved staying there. Dave is right -- not a place for kashrut-observant Jews, though many Israelis stay there. It is just beautiful and impeccably well run. I stayed there in 2005 and 2006 with friends, both of whom loved it as well. But then the prices skyrocketed, and while it is worth a splurge for those who want that experience, I tend not to splurge on hotel rooms given how little I am in them.

So, Ramot it is. I would prefer being closer to Tiberias -- my idea of dinner at Auberge Shulamit the first night may go out the window given the driving distance. Maybe Decks in Tiberias instead. . . . And instead of eating at Ha-Bayit (The House) in Tiberias on Erev Shabbat, perhaps we will eat on site? I assume there are not restaurants that nearby?

I look forward to the adventure. (This counts as an "adventure" in my sometimes over-planned life.) Our friend Kathy4HIM was moved here when Nof Ginosar was booked (just like me). She was a tad heartbroken; she REALLY loves the atmosphere at Nof Ginosar. But she loves the Ramot Resort more now. So, she and Dave will both be pleased with themselves that they convinced me. :-)

Douglas Duckett

In Maryland on business

israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,231 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ramot instead of Nof Ginosar?

Ramot has several restaurants besides the one in the resort.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,898 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ramot instead of Nof Ginosar?

Ah, really? Any suggestions? Especially with views over the lake?

Douglas Duckett

israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,231 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ramot instead of Nof Ginosar?

"Regardless, in the Moshav, 5 minutes from the Resort, there are 2 or 3 enjoyable, casual restaurants -- and it's just a 20-30 minute drive to the best meat restaurant in Israel in Qatzrin, and a little longer to Decks in Tiberias, which has excellent food, and (if you aren't trampled by gigantic tour groups), a really beautiful setting" Written by AZZeny, Sep 2009. Never been there myself.

Edited: 23 November 2011, 13:30
Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,898 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ramot instead of Nof Ginosar?

Thanks, Shoshi!