We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nazareth for non-Christians

Anchorage
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Nazareth for non-Christians

We are going to be visiting family in Israel. We are Christian and they are Jewish. We want to visit Nazareth Village, but are wondering if it would be appropriate to invite our family to come with us. In no way are we trying to proselyte. We just have a limited time to tour and be with family and trying to combine both activities when possible. They are quite secular and easy going, but we are wondering how in your face the Christianity of Nazareth Village is.

1. Re: Nazareth for non-Christians

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 October 2012, 00:14
Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nazareth for non-Christians

Nazareth is a city.....Nazareth Village is a place where Christians have built a recreated "village"....rather well done in my opinion. I have toured it several times. At the end there is a presentation given that is definitely evangelistic in nature.

Kathy

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,203 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nazareth for non-Christians

Kathy - thanks for the clarification. I've deleted my original reply.

AlaskaSunSeeker - from Kathy's description, it seems to me you should tell your Israeli relatives about the site, including its evangelistic character, and let them decide whether that's something they'd like to experience.

Edited: 13 October 2012, 00:17
Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nazareth for non-Christians

Yes, it does have a Christian tilt, but it is still a representation of a 1st century Jewish village. They might enjoy it.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,623 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nazareth for non-Christians

If there is an evangelical presentation at the the end -- and I appreciate Kathy giving us a full picture -- I can't imagine any Jews wanting to sit through that. I'm a Christian, albeit one of liberal theology, and I wouldn't.

Douglas Duckett

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nazareth for non-Christians

I'm trying to remember, but if there is anything, it's at the beginning and it’s low key. And I think the place is more of a commercial/cultural venture than an evangelistic tool.

And Douglas, to be fair, spend any time in Israel and you will get someone talking to you at length the benefits of their faith. Last Feb a Muslim gentleman spent fifteen minutes talking to me about worshipping Allah alone (He who has no son) just outside the Damascus Gate. A few years ago a Jewish gentleman spent the same amount of time talking to me about Judaism as I ate at Bonkers Bagels by the German Hospitaliers hostel (now gone). It is why Israel is what it is and you just roll with it.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,031 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nazareth for non-Christians

If your family are not religious they may find the village interesting and won't mind or even see the evangelistic spirit. Kids will love it. Isn't Neot Kedumim a similar village with a Jewish spirit?

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nazareth for non-Christians

Neot Kedumim does not present anything other than an impressively recreated biblical park. There are no hidden or overt religious messages.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,744 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Nazareth for non-Christians

I don't know anything about "Nazareth Village" (I hadn't heard of it until I read your post), but there is an obvious difference between actively going to a presentation that has a clear religious message and being subjected to a random person in a cafe who is spouting religion at you (as Dogmeat wrote). The latter is a matter of chance, and you can move away or tell him to change the subject or shut up if you don't like it. Buying a ticket for a religious presentation is in a different category altogether. Since the home page of Nazareth Village very clearly says "A living presentation of the life, times, and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth for all the world", it's hardly hidden!

But as PRSV says, presumably your relatives are able to make up their own mind.

And no, there is no religious agenda of any kind at Neot Kedumim.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,623 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nazareth for non-Christians

I agree, Shuffaluff, a world of difference. And if this family is travelling with Christians who want the whole thing, they become kind of a captive audience.

For the record, Dogmeat, I won't let anyone proselytize to me. Including evangelical Christians, though by no means not only them. Someone can demonstrate and "witness to" the merits of their faith by the lives they lead, not speeches or lectures.

Douglas Duckett