We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wineries

Baltimore
Level Contributor
232 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Wineries

We are interested in visiting a winery while we are up North. Any suggestions?

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,935 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wineries

The Golan Winery is probably the best known. Located near Qatzrin on the Golan. The Galil winery is located on Kibbutz Yiron, not far from Bar Am past Tzfat along the northern border with Lebanon. I really like the wines there. Good tour- better than the Golan Winery tour in my opinion. Then there is the Rimon Winery. Some people like this wine made only from pomegranates. I am not a fan but it is certainly a interesting place to visit. It is also near Tzfat.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,166 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wineries

Another one is Dalton, in near Moshav Dalton http://www.dalton-winery.com/

Boston...
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Wineries

LKG54,

This was on our list, too! Thanks for asking the question and starting the thread.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,935 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wineries

There are so many wineries now all over Israel. Some are big, some are small, some are specialty. We visited one in the Negev recently where the grapes were grown on ancient terraces built originally by the Nabbateans. Also, fairly new, especially for tourists, is the unbelievable explosion of microbreweries. No longer is the choice of cold brew just Maccabee or Goldstar, now there are actually some really great tasting options available, all locally brewed.

Haifa
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wineries

I would go on the smaller ones rather the big Golan Winery.

My favorite is Chateau Golan in Eliad + they don't charge on the tour.

this is their web site: http://www.chateaugolan.com/

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,943 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wineries

It depends what you are looking for - are you serious wine tasters, or looking for more of a tour experience?

Some wineries like Golan have a tour, others have more informal tasting. Incidentally, at Golan it's possible to do tasting instead of a tour, which costs only a nominal amount, and when I did this, they offered some rather nice wines once they realised that we were actually interested in wine. A similar experience happened at Carmel, where the man working in the shop kept pulling out more bottles for us to taste.

I would skip Rimon. I found it not a particularly interesting tasting experience other than the novelty value, and their wines are very expensive compared to grape wines of a similar quality. Dalton is nearby and makes some excellent wines, IMHO much more worthwhile visiting.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,093 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wineries

The Galil Mountain winery near Kibbutz Yiron is also very nice.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
32 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wineries

Its not so North, but in Zichron Yaacov/Binyamina, Tishbi has a lovely winery. I was there a few weeks ago and we had a private tour (no charge) and a tasting (again no charge). There is also a very good restaurant with cheese tastings as well as lovely dishes.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
38 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Wineries

I personally like some of the smaller wineries for a more intimate tour. I recommend: Bazelet Hagolan, Netofa and Tulip. The nice thing about the Tulip winery is that that it's an amazing winery (top 10 in Rogov guide) and the people who work there are people with special needs. worth the visit.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
197 posts
469 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Wineries

Grateful for the thread. I am less informed about the wineries and there are some great suggestions here. I did a bit of research and found a pretty good list. Not all of them are in the Galilee however.

wine-searcher.com/merchants/…134