We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banias Nature Reserve- Banias Waterfall Where is it?

CALI
Level Contributor
427 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Banias Nature Reserve- Banias Waterfall Where is it?

google maps shows on west coast in Hadera, Israel

anyone have an address or better location?

looking to drive there next week with my gps

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,334 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Banias Nature Reserve- Banias Waterfall Where is it?

The Banias Nature Reserve is in the Golan Heights. It's located about 5-10 minutes drive east of the Tel Dan Nature Reserve in Upper Galilee.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,983 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Banias Nature Reserve- Banias Waterfall Where is it?

Intrigued, I had a look at Google Maps. This is a ridiculous mistake! As Dave says, Banias is nowhere near Hadera - well, it's closer to Hadera than it is to Cali, but that's about all! I can't begin to imagine how Google screwed up on that one.

Here is a map showing where it really is:

http://www.mapisrael.info/banias

And I hope your GPS is more accurate!

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
8,813 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Banias Nature Reserve- Banias Waterfall Where is it?

Banyas is also known as "Caesarea Philippi"; they may have somehow confused it with the other Caesarea.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,867 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Banias Nature Reserve- Banias Waterfall Where is it?

Google maps has it wrong. When you type in Banias Nature reserve it does give you Hadera.

Look up Tel Dan Nature reserve, as davetheguide says it is about 5-10minutes east to get to Banias. Tel Dan is on route 99 and if you continue east, you should be seeing signposting. If you are not sure, you can always stop at Tel Dan and get directions. There are two entrances to Banias, one to the main temples and spring site and the other to the waterfall and hanging trail. If you want to do some hiking, then the temples and spring site is where you want to start. From there you can walk to the waterfall and back (a couple of hours at least). Or you can do a shorter loop hike and then drive over to the other end to just see the waterfall and hanging trail.

3 postings all at the same time!

Sorry I can't be more specific but I don't live in Israel, only a tourist who has driven there several times. It is worth the effort-such a beautiful spot.

Edited: 13 May 2013, 21:24
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,983 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Banias Nature Reserve- Banias Waterfall Where is it?

mbgg, even the "other Caesarea" isn't in the middle of Hadera, which is what Google Maps shows. Slap bang in the middle of the town, to save you the trouble of looking it up!

And I sure hope, as I said, that the OP's GPS does a better job of it.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
435 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Banias Nature Reserve- Banias Waterfall Where is it?

Here is the nature reserve's parking lot on Google maps:

http://goo.gl/maps/MqmQ1

The closest villages are Dan and Snir.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,055 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Banias Nature Reserve- Banias Waterfall Where is it?

I see where Google mistakenly shows you that the Banias is in Hadera when in fact it is in the Golan Heights on Road number 99 which goes from Kiryat Shmona in the 'finger of the Galilee' on eastern side of Israel -- east and up to the Golan Heights.

Just goes to show that Google maps cannot always be depended upon. I have reported this very big error to Google.

Chana

Israel

8. Re: Banias Nature Reserve- Banias Waterfall Where is it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2014, 06:18