We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pies for lunch

Sydney, Australia
11 posts
Save Topic
Pies for lunch

Hi,

I have been to Israel before and found it difficult to grab a quick cheap lunch.

In Australia we have meat pies. All different flavours and types. Heaps to choose from.

Various places sell them, corner deli shops, supermarkets, service stations, etc.

Also Fish and Chip shops. Good for quick food, even a hamburger.

Is there something similar in Israel or am I missing something?

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,437 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pies for lunch

There are no pies like we have here -at least I haven't seen any on two x four week trips. A falafel would probably be the equivalent quick lunch takeaway.

When you get to Jerusalem I gather there is a fish and chip shop near Machane Yehuda market. Around the Sea of Galilee you can get a St Peter's fish lunch served with chips but I didn't see it as a takeaway. (St. Peter's fish is a form of tilapia)

Hummus is also popular.

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pies for lunch

Felafel, schwarma, pizza, burekas + hard-boiled egg. You can go into any makolet (corner grocery store) and buy some yogurt, pita, and a cucumber or two + fruit.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pies for lunch

Pizza and burekas are everywhere. Sandwiches, salads to go, dairy products can be picked up at coffee shops, cafes etc that are reasonably priced and quick to go.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,437 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pies for lunch

There are some McDonalds there also if you want a beefburger but you will probably find the ingredients are not the same as here in Aus. According to their website about a third of them are kosher.

Edited: 17 February 2014, 04:35
Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,927 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pies for lunch

MacDonalds is not a cheap lunch in Israel. Prices are quite shocking.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,437 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pies for lunch

What kind of price is that (in shekels so I can do a conversion to Australian dollars).

I must admit I haven't been to one as I didn't think they would do anything gluten free - but I have wondered if the kosher ones might be gluten free over Passover.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,721 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pies for lunch

Many large supermarkets also have takeout departments. So in addition to the yoghurt, pita and veggies that were already mentioned, you can go in and get sliced meat, cheese, ( not together) etc. You can also by packages of deli meat.

Bottom line you will not go hungry but you do need to eat like you are in Israel, not Austrailia -:)

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
3,918 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pies for lunch

If you are a meat lover I would defiantly go for a juicy schwarma (flooded with tahini) you can find in many shops.

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pies for lunch

Heather - the kosher-for-Pesach hamburger buns in McDonalds aren't gluten free - they are made from ground matza meal.

At Pesach your best chance of finding gluten-free baked items is in more religious areas/shops. The reason is that many in the ultra-Orthodox and Orthodox community don't eat baked goods made from matza, and instead eat only cakes etc. from other items which all happen to be gluten free (potato flour, desiccated coconut, etc.). The Yiddish phrase you should learn is "nicht gebrocht" ("not baked"). If something is "nicht gebrocht" it is gluten free.

Just always bear in mind that the people you are dealing with are looking at this all from the perspective of religious law, while you are looking from the GF angle (for example, of course, they would all happily eat uncooked matza itself, which you can't). However - there is growing awareness of gluten free issues everywhere in Israel, including in the ultra-Orthodox community (where families tend to be large, so if a genetic trait of celiac is present it may be expressed in several children in the same family). So if you find someone who speaks English they may well get the point and be able to direct you to suitable items.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,743 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pies for lunch

Both fish and chips and hamburgers are relatively expensive takeaway foods here, as they are essentially a speciality food, not what people eat every day. I think the basic McDonalds meal is about 35 shekels.

For cheaper local options, in addition to what people have listed above, places that serve a plate of hummus with a couple of pittas and often a choice of toppings are also a good filling lunch option. Also cafe Aroma, which has branches all over the place, does a good range of sandwiches that you can take away, as do most other cafes.

Heather - you need to be careful about assuming that baked goods will be gluten free over Passover as most use "matza meal" which is essentially ground up matza, i.e. wheat. [edited: posted at the same time as PRSV]

Edited: 17 February 2014, 06:09