We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

base for exploring the galilee area

NYC
Level Contributor
42 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
base for exploring the galilee area

HI Israel Destination Experts,

I have 3 days to explore the Galilee area of Israel. I was wondering where I should stay as a base. I want to go to Tiberius and Safed and would love suggestions and proposed itineraries.

Thank you

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,272 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: base for exploring the galilee area

Would you have a car, or use public transport? And what days of the week would this be?

Richmond, Michigan
Level Contributor
923 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: base for exploring the galilee area

Were going in June and have rented a Zimmer in a town called Yavne'el. We plan on visiting the 2 cities you mention, plus many others. Is very affordable I think compared to booking a hotel room. Found it on a web site called flipkey. If you do a search there are other web sites as well for these types of rentals.

Edited: 16 April 2014, 17:50
Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: base for exploring the galilee area

I love Vered HaGalil near Rosh Pina and Safed. That is a great location and reasonably priced. Restaurant is not kosher however if that's important.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,908 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: base for exploring the galilee area

Staying near Kiryat Shemona is very central especially if you are right off the highway. The best place in the region is Hotel Pastural at Kibbutz Kfar Blum. It is also the priciest. Nearby is Hagoshrim, which is a very nice kibbutz hotel but less in price than Kfar Blum. There are also many zimmers in Beit Hillel which you could find online. Many Israelis use these zimmers so you will have less tourist services, but on the other hand you will certainly have a small town feel and the location is very convenient. Rosh Pina has some nice zimmers, some of which are more expensive than Kfar Blum! others that are more reasonably priced.

If it is in your budget, my first choice would be Kfar Blum. If that is not in your budget then The places I mentioned or Vered HaGalil, would be good choices.

Don't stay in either Tiberias or Tzfat for 'centrality' or ease of getting around. You can see the very few sites in Tiberias in a short visit and the traffic is terrible. Tzfat is wonderful but going in and out on those steep winding roads everyday is unnecessary. The traffic in Tzfat as well as the ridiculous road set up (every few meters it seems there is another traffic circle) doesn't make it a great city for driving around in. Tzfat is wonderful for a half day or even full day visit but for seeing the Galilee, not a central location.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,364 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: base for exploring the galilee area

I agree that both Tzfat and Tiberias are poor choices for lodging in Galilee.

If your touring is NOT over Shabbat (Friday/Saturday), another kibbutz hotel you should consider is Kibbutz Lavi.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,314 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: base for exploring the galilee area

I was intrigued by Kfar Blum, but it's pretty far north, and I prefer to be closer to Lake Kinneret (the Sea of Galilee). I do not share others' negativity about Tiberias, mainly because I have no desire to be far away from restaurants and other evening options -- and worst of all, have to battle Israeli families acting like food will be outlawed tomorrow on hotel buffet lines.

In Tiberias, Scots Hotel is a beautiful but quiet expensive option, unless you need kosher accommodations. Just north is Nof Ginosar, a kibbutz hotel that is popular, particularly with tours. I have stayed at a zimmer (guesthouse) called Nof 10 (www.nof10.com) that offers cabins with SPECTACULAR views over the whole Kinneret region; this is a vegetarian moshav and you are expected to respect that, but it's not a far drive to other, meat options. Many people speak highly of Rosh Pina, which also has a number of zimmers. On the east side of the lake is Ramot, and their resort is good, though the Israeli-families-mauling-buffet-lines phenomenon was the worst there I have ever seen. There is a restaurant in the moshav called Moshbutz that DE Shoshi speaks very highly of, and I utterly trust her when it comes to restaurants.

In short, lots of options.

Douglas Duckett

New Albany, Indiana
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: base for exploring the galilee area

We are using Nof 10 as our 4 day base for the Galilee and Golan next month. Though we are not vegetarians, the views suckered me and it didn't seem like the vegetarian thing would be a huge issue for us.

I was originally booked at Ein Gev and then changed our reservations to Nof 10, with the added benefit that Nof 10 was surprisingly less expensive.

NYC
Level Contributor
42 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: base for exploring the galilee area

I really want to thank everybody for posting such good info. I decided I was trying to do to much as usual, I will have to save my Galillee exploration for my next trip. I decided on a 3 day Petra tour with desert eco tours after reading so many great reviews of them on these boards. Thanks again I'm really looking forward to my trip starting on 4/29.

9. Re: base for exploring the galilee area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2015, 06:16