We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Galilee?

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
107 posts
144 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in Galilee?

In late December, we will spent three nights at Galilee, I am considering two nights in lower and one night in upper Galilee. For lower, considering Migdal (Tabgha Pilgerhaus), Ginosar (nof ginosar) or Tiberias (Leonardo or in that class) . Any of those locations (and hotel) preferable than the other? We are interested in (primarily) Christian places and will have our own car. I am attracted to staying at the kibbutz hotel for the experience.

For upper, considering Kfar Blum or HaGoshrim. Does it make sense/efficient to split the stay in Upper/Lower? Any other hotel suggestion? We are a family of three (with a teenage daughter) and not interested in 'spa' hotel.

Thank you,

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
9,815 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Galilee?

There is no reason to change locations because driving time from Tiberias to Kiryat Shmona is only about 45 min.

http://goo.gl/maps/Q2T03

Choose one central location, based on where you will be doing most of your touring: Nof Ginossar in the south, Rosh Pina in the center, Kfar Blum further north.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,517 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Galilee?

A lot of the local people seem to prefer kibbutz locations, but my husband and I have really enjoyed staying in Tiberias when we travelled by ourselves. We stayed at the Leonardo in Gdud Barak Road. Note that there are two other Leonardo Hotels in Tiberias. The other two are located right near the Marina and are more expensive. We stayed in one of those on a tour.

We were happy in the Leonardo in Gdud Barak Road. It is walking distance of nearly everything you want to visit in Tiberias, yet is on the road to the north leading out towards the Christian sites, the north, and the Golan Heights. We found the restaurant staff very helpful when it came to finding me gluten-free options for meals. The staff on the desk were also helpful with every query we had. We have stayed there twice now: for six days in March of this year and for about 4 days two years ago.

Walking into Tiberias from our hotel after a day of touring, and having dinner on the Promenade, watching the boats on the Sea of Galilee was always a highlight.

Edited: 31 May 2014, 08:04
Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
1,266 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Galilee?

Nicer to stay above the lake. Check out Vered HaGalil ranch with cabins in a delightful setting near Korazim with lake views. Restaurant is also good. It's well located just above Beatitudes and excellent for touring. I prefer this to staying in Tiberias. No need to change hotels.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,041 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in Galilee?

Nof Ginosar is an hotel, nothing to do with the kibbutz. It caters to many group tours. Staying in Tiberius gives a "city feel' with restaurants and the promenade. If you days are not Friday-Saturday this is a good option. Otherwise Migdal, Vered Hagalil etc... are fine.

5. Re: Where to stay in Galilee?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2015, 06:16