We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tel Aviv to Haifa traffic

Which Haifa hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NYC area
Level Contributor
426 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Tel Aviv to Haifa traffic

Is the traffic from Tel Aviv to Haifa as bad as it seems from all the comments here? We are accustomed to New York City traffic. Not saying that we like it. Just that we are accustomed to it.

Approximately how long should it take to drive from Tel Aviv to Haifa? Are there certain rush hour times we should try to avoid? We were planning to rent a car when leaving Tel Aviv but we could rent it when leaving Haifa instead.

Is there any kind of shuttle service? Would taking a taxi be practical and approximately how much would that cost? I prefer to avoid trains and buses. We used public transportation in Italy and I think I am too old for that now, especially with luggage.

Thanks for all your help. Just two more months!!!

Edited: 07 August 2012, 12:17
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,766 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tel Aviv to Haifa traffic

Depending upon the time of day you will think you are sitting on the Long Island Expressway or the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel outbound at 5:15 PM.

When are you planning on driving?

BTW to avoid traffic the ONLY way would be to take a train. A taxi would be sitting in the same traffic and you'd just be paying more. ( taxi IS flat rate)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,564 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tel Aviv to Haifa traffic

What are your plans in Haifa? Will you be staying there for the night? If so, then it would probably be better to wait until Haifa to rent a car so you avoid the traffic and congestion - which can be much like New York traffic depending on the day and time you travel.

I understand not wanting to use public transportation - even though the train to Haifa is an easy, comfortable way to go - as are the buses.

However, if you still prefer to avoid the train or bus then you are left with a taxi which will cost 450 NIS on a weekday.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,564 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tel Aviv to Haifa traffic

Well it looks like rdglady and I agree - but I love your analogies.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
8,809 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tel Aviv to Haifa traffic

Looking at your previous thread, I see that you want to spend one day in Haifa, then continue to the north.

The traffic from Tel-Aviv to Haifa is not that bad during the day (I don't know where you read otherwise) and takes about 1.5 hours. The traffic in Haifa is also reasonable outside of rush hours. There is one English tour every day at noon (except Wed) of the Bahai Gardens starting on Yefe Nof St at the top of Mt. Carmel. There is a parking lot nearby. The tour ends below at the temple so you have to take a bus or taxi back up to retrieve the car. From there you can drive to Akko and you should arrive by 2 PM which leaves you enough time to see the crusader City. The traffic from Haifa to Akko (Hwy 4) around the bay is always heavy.

Alternatively, you can skip the tour and just visit the lower gardens and the temple by yourself which will give you more flexibility in your schedule. You could then visit Caesarea or Zikhron on the way to Haifa.

In either case, I would rent the car in Tel-Aviv - you don't want the inconvenience of travelling to Haifa by train with your luggage, then wasting time there arranging the car.

NYC area
Level Contributor
426 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tel Aviv to Haifa traffic

Our plans were to rent a car and leave Tel Aviv for Haifa on Wednesday, October 10, 2012, which I believe is just after the end of Succot. We would leave as early as possible in order to have more time in Haifa. However, if it is better to leave a little later to avoid morning rush hour, we could do that too.

We plan to stay overnight in Haifa at the Dan Panorama, then go to Akko and onto Pastoral Hotel Kfar Blum the following day. We could save Akko for another day if driving there is less congested from other areas than it is from Haifa. I do not want to be stuck in traffic on the LIE when we have so little time there anyway.

In Haifa, I would like to be able to see the Bahai Gardens and Louis Promenade at night, perhaps have dinner somewhere in the German Colony and meander around there a bit, and try the felafel at Hazkenim. I am not certain if we will have time for all that, but our plans are almost always flexible. Is there anything else that we should not miss?

I remember luggage being a major issue when we used trains in Italy. If we did not have luggage, I would definitely consider the train.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,977 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tel Aviv to Haifa traffic

>>I remember luggage being a major issue when we used trains in Italy.

I'm not sure what "major issue" you refer to. In some European countries (I don't remember about Italy specifically) the platforms are much lower than the level of the train so you have to climb steps to get into the train, indeed not much fun with luggage. That's not true in Israel, where all you have to do is step straight into the train. Here are pictures:

http://tinyurl.com/dx4q29r

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fresco/24104722/

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,224 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tel Aviv to Haifa traffic

I find going OUT of Tel Aviv in the morning heading north is usually not too bad. And if you are arriving in Haifa at say 10:00 a.m. or so, you should miss the worst part of the traffic. If you are going up to Central Carmel, you go up Etzel and Derech Ha-Yam, and miss the worst part of downtown Haifa traffic.

In short, I think you'll be fine.

Douglas Duckett

NYC area
Level Contributor
426 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tel Aviv to Haifa traffic

@Shuffaluff...Thank you. One of the major problems with the trains in Italy was getting the luggage up the stairs.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,977 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tel Aviv to Haifa traffic

There are no stairs in Israeli trains except in the double-decker trains, and only then if you want to go on the top deck. The double-decker trains have wheelchair access in at least one of the carriages, so you could look for that if you want easy access. And anyway, the fast Tel Aviv-Haifa trains are not (usually) double deckers anyway because they are used on the suburban services.

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
8,809 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tel Aviv to Haifa traffic

I think that you will be wasting over an hour getting to the train station, waiting for the train, etc, etc, in order to save at most 30 minutes of heavy traffic. As Douglas said, you will be going OUT of Tel-Aviv, while the heavy traffic will be coming IN !

What hotel are you staying at in Tel-Aviv ?

There are a few other interesting sites in Haifa, but I would give them low priority.

As you can see from the Bahai web site, there are no tours on Wednesday:

ganbahai.org.il/en/tours/#currenttimetable

So you can only visit the lower gardens and the Shrine. The Shrine is only open to 12 noon while the outer gardens are open all day. Here is a map of the area:

www.ganbahai.org.il/en/directions-maps/haifa

I think it would be more efficient to stay overnight in the Akko area so that you can get an early start in the Crusader City. Here is the Old Akko web site:

akko.org.il/en/Old-Acre-Visitors-Center-about