We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trains from Haifa to Tel Aviv

Potter Bar, Herts...
Level Contributor
21 posts
369 reviews
Save Topic
Trains from Haifa to Tel Aviv

I will be arriving at Haifa Port in a cruise ship and want to travel to Tel Aviv to visit the Carfmel Market and Jaffa.

Can somebody inform me:-

1. How frequent the trains are? We would be traveling on a Thursday and Friday.

2. Which Tel Aviv station to get of at to avoid being miles away from Carmel/Jaffa

Many thanks

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,414 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trains from Haifa to Tel Aviv

1. The Haifa-Tel Aviv train service is quite frequent, with 3 trains per hour in most of the day.

Do note: train service (and bus service) stops in Israel on Shabbat - that is from Friday afternoon till Saturday night. It also stops during Jewish holidays - which Thursday/Friday are you coming? make sure it's not during a Jewish holiday or there won't be buses nor trains, in which case a sherut or a private taxi would be needed.

Israel Railways website: http://rail.co.il/EN/Pages/Homepage.aspx

2. Get off at Tel Aviv Central "Savidor" station. Although it's not the closest one to the Carmel Market and Old jaffa, there's a bus terminal adjacent to it, from which it is easy to take a direct bus to those location.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trains from Haifa to Tel Aviv

This September both 18th and 25th are holidays thus no trains.

On any regular Thursday trains from Haifa Center Ha'Shmona (closest to the port) to Tel Aviv are running every 10 minutes up to an hour depending on the time.

On Fridays last train is noon thus you may use shared taxi instead.

My suggestion is to get off in Tel-Aviv at Ha'Shalom station (many buses near by and taxis as well)

For more details go to the English train web site: http://www.rail.co.il/EN/Pages/Homepage.aspx

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,913 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trains from Haifa to Tel Aviv

On Friday you have the Nahalat Benyamin Craft Market next to the Carmel Market. This is a weekly juried craft market of Israeli artists and is well worth seeing. Combine the Craft and Carmel Market into one day which would still give you time to visit other sites in the area such as Neve Tzedek or to take the city site- seeing bus around. On Thursday you could spend your time at Jaffa which has terrific artist galleries, as well as the down on the heel Jaffa market and many interesting second hand stores carrying many items from the British Mandate time. It is worthwhile to visit the Visitors Centre, located under the central square, to get a history of the city. The Jaffa Port has restaurants and shops right at the piers and is a great place for a meal.

It sounds like you are planning to spend both Thursday and Friday in Tel Aviv. This is great as you could actually have time to see things but you don't say if you have been to Jerusalem before. If not, I would suggest you spend Thursday in Jerusalem and Friday in Tel Aviv/Yafo. If you have been to Jerusalem before and specifically want to visit Tel Aviv and Jaffa, then you actually have time to see things over 2 full days- a luxury many tourists don't take in this amazing city.

Potter Bar, Herts...
Level Contributor
21 posts
369 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trains from Haifa to Tel Aviv

Many thanks for quick reply. We will be traveling in November so Jewish Holidays will no be a problem.

One more thing which bus should one take and in which direction?

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
252 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trains from Haifa to Tel Aviv

From HaShalom train station Dan bus *40 & #42 goes to Jaffa and Dan bus #63 goes to Carmel Market

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,414 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trains from Haifa to Tel Aviv

I recommend getting off the train at Tel Aviv Central "Savidor" station, there is a bus terminal right outside of it - take bus #18 (departs every 8 minutes from 6am to 8pm, later every 15 minutes) (there's only one direction since this is a terminus station).

This is MUCH easier than getting off at Tel Aviv "HaShalom" station, from which you need to take the "mall" exit, traverse the entire Azrielli mall and to get to the "bridge" exit, cross the bridge over Namir Rd, take a left and wait in the very busy street for the bus.

Bus #18 gets you to the Carmel market entrance (ask the driver - Carmel "shuk"). From there, walk down the market. After exiting on the other side of the market, take a right turn - direction to the sea (visible). Cross the sea-side street (at the trafiic light) and take a left (south) on the sea-side promenade, till you get to old Jaffa.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,932 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trains from Haifa to Tel Aviv

I second NOT getting off the train at Hashalom. While there are dozens, even hundreds, of buses passing that station, nearly all of them are intercity buses going north to south (or the reverse) that stop only to set down or pick up passengers there, and are not local city buses. Savidor Merkaz (Central) is a MUCH better station to get off at.

Note that in November the last trains/buses on Fridays will be earlier than they are now, as the clocks go back at the end of October and Shabbat (the Sabbath), which starts at sundown, will commence considerably earlier, meaning public transport stops earlier. The last train from Tel Aviv Savidor Central to Haifa on a Friday in November is at 14:37.

I'm not sure why you want to visit the Carmel Market. Everyone has different interests of course, but with limited time I can't see why it would be top of your list. It's mainly food and cheap clothing, not something worth making a special trip to see if you're not in the area anyway.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,126 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trains from Haifa to Tel Aviv

I'm I allowed to third the suggesting for getting off at Savidor Merkaz and NOT Hashalom. It is much much easier to find a bus there. Everything is neatly labeled.

9. Re: Trains from Haifa to Tel Aviv

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2014, 05:16