We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

haifa cable car

Bucharest, Romania
9 posts
Save Topic
haifa cable car

My friend, 97 y.o. wants to take a cab and does not know how to say in Hebrew "aerial cable car".

Thank you,

Anca

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: haifa cable car

Say "Rakevel" or "Rakhbal".

Bucharest, Romania
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: haifa cable car

thank you

I told her

Anca

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,779 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: haifa cable car

The other thing she can say is "Stella Maris," where it is located.

Douglas Duckett

T-minus 12 days

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,897 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: haifa cable car

The other end of the cable car is at the Bat Galim Promenade. She should use a map to figure out which station is the nearest, in order to get the taxi to the right end of the cable car. Generally speaking, Bat Galim is closest to the port and the railway stations (Bat Galim station being the nearest); Stella Maris is the closest for locations on the mountain.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,779 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: haifa cable car

Ah, good point, Avigail!

Douglas Duckett

Bucharest, Romania
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: haifa cable car

Thank you very much... to all of you ...

She took a cab and she said "aerial cab" "down" ... and while chatting with the driver ... it turned out that he was also from Romania as she is (and so am I)... So in the end all went well with the languages... :-)

Speaking of languages ... when I watch TV here, in Israel,,, can I use English subtitles when I watch a show or a movie? I tried to find subtitles with the remote ... but did not succeed ... yet

Anca

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,643 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: haifa cable car

Which kind of TV do you have? is it "YES" satellite company? or "HOT" cable company? (the name should be on the set-top-box). Or, are you watching from a hotel, and there isn't a set-top-box?

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,368 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: haifa cable car

Anca - your story about the taxi driver who turns out to be Romanian is one of those classic Israel moments.

I don't think you'll be able to add English subtitles on programs if they aren't already carrying them, but I'm happy to be corrected. However there are are loads of films and programs in English (with Hebrew subtitles) so you should be able to find things to watch,

By the way - if you have Hot (cable tv), you should have two Romanian-language channels. Here in Jerusalem they are on channels 163 and 164 - it might be slightly different where you are, but try up in those high numbers among a whole bunch of channels in different languages.

Bucharest, Romania
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: haifa cable car

It is HOT.

I am in Haifa in my friend's apartment. She is 97 and does not know (very well) how to use the remote.

Thank you for your help. I had the bad luck to damage my ankle so I am a "prisoner" in her home although I am dying to get out and visit!!

Anca

10. Re: haifa cable car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 May 2015, 05:17