We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ashdod and Jerusalem

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Ashdod and Jerusalem

We are an Australian couple in our 70s. We will be on board the Celebrity Constellation when it docks in Ashdod on November 5 and 6.

To maximise our time we are thinking of staying overnight in Jerusalem rather than returning to the ship. Is this a good idea? Any recommendations of a reasonably priced hotel - maybe near the Old City?

We would like to see the main Christian, Jewish and Muslim sites if possible. What is not to be missed?

We have booked separately a tour the previous day from Haifa, which includes Nazareth, the Basilica of the Annunciation, the Jordan River, Sea of Galilee, Capernaum, Tabgha, and the Mount of Beatitudes.

We know the Old City is walking only - how difficult is it and how far is the walk to the main points of interest? My wife has limited walking capacity.

Can we see the main places independently, or do we need a guided tour?

What about museums etc - should we include any at the expense of sites? Is it worth including a trip to the Dead Sea?

Our main interest is history, but we want to leave Jerusalem with at least some understanding of the current situation.

Sorry for so many questions, but any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

11 replies to this topic
Modi'in-Maccabim-Re...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,749 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ashdod and Jerusalem

Yes staying overnight is an excellent idea. The Old City is all walking on cobblestones and steps. Depending on your wife's mobility issues you may want to visit one or two sites perhaps using a wheelchair. If you are interested in history and modern Israel having a guide will enhance your visit ten fold. The main museums are the Israel Museum and Yad Vashem.

Chana

Israel

Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ashdod and Jerusalem

Australian Coupe, My wife and I are also on the Celebrity Constellation with port visits to Haifa and Ashdod. We are in our 70's also and my wife is a little limited to taking steps but otherwise we can get around OK. We also booked the tour to Northern Israel, Nazareth Tabgha, Sea of Galilee, etc with Guided Tours Israel. We booked the second tour from Ashdod " Historical Jerusalem and Bethlehem. On our second day in Ashdod we are thinking about going on our own to see the Tower of David Museum and the Israel Museum that also includes the Shrine of the Book(Dead Sea Scrolls). We cancelled our trip to the Dead Sea because it is an all day thing. I was a history major in College and have seen and read much about Masada. I am trying to find out how much a taxi would cost to get us around Jerusalem and back to the ship. If you are interested in sharing a ride to and from Ashdod on the 6th let us know.

Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ashdod and Jerusalem

Phyllis, here is your answer about costs of a taxi:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29397…

The price for four persons would be slightly higher.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
73 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ashdod and Jerusalem

Phyllis H,

We my husband Tom and Debbie are also on the Celebrity Constellation. We were also thinking about taking a Taxi into Jerusalem. We would love to do the underground Jerusalem tour. They are about an 1 1/2 long and start at Kottel - wailing wall. My husband is also a little limited to long periods of walking without rest. If you would like to share a taxi let me know. It is about $60.00 one way from what I have been told. The Israel Museum would be great as well!! We booked the Jerusalem and Bethlehem from Haifa with guided tours Israel, and have not scheduled any other tours. We have been to Israel in the past on a land based tour so we have seen Masada and the been to the dead sea. We have also been to the Sea of Galilee etc.

Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
551 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ashdod and Jerusalem

Few hotels in the old city or nearby:

Imperial Hotel

http://www.newimperial.com/- I'm not sure that they have an elevator, so ask for a room on lower floor.

The Post Hostel (they have private rooms too) in a 10 minutes walk from the Jaffa Gate and Damascus Gate.

http://theposthostel.com/

Notre Dame Guesthouse- Right next to the old city.

https://www.notredamecenter.org/about

Other hotels that you may consider are:

Mamila, David Citadel, Eldan Hotel, King David Hotel, King Solomon Hotel, Dan Panorama Jerusalem, Mt. Zion Hotel, Inbal Hotel, Dan Boutique, Mount Zion Boutique Hotel & Suites.

Theyr'e all in a walking distance from the old city but since your wife has limited walking capacity you will probably have to take a taxi. Also, some of the hotels are luxury hotels, so it won't be cheap.

There is a tourists train leaving Jaffa Gate, taking you through the narrow streets of the old city to the Western Wall. You may consider taking that train instead of walking by foot. But i don't know if this train will work on November. The train parking right next to Imperial hotel and Tower of David Museum.

BTW, this museum is a must.

The distance between the main sights is not big, but your wife may find it a little bit difficult since there are many stairs and the Jerusalem Stone that the old city streets paved with is not doing the walk easier.

If you're good with maps, it's not a problem to do it on your own.

Edited: 22 September 2017, 09:00
Modi'in-Maccabim-Re...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,749 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ashdod and Jerusalem

Mobile I don't suggest doing the Tunnel Tour if resting us needed as there is no where to sit over the entire tour. Also from Haifa it is not recommended to take a tour of Jerusalem. It would be best to tour in the north since tracing time is over 2 hours in each direction between Haifa and Jerusalem.

Chana

Israel

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
73 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ashdod and Jerusalem

Thank you so much for the information.

Debbie

Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ashdod and Jerusalem

Tom & Debbie,

Maybe a direct email is better to discuss sharing transportation in Jerusalem. Email me at erichaeseler@bellsouth.net. We haven't made plans yet for our third day in Israel. We were considering The National Museum and the Tower of David Museum but are flexible as to what we do. Eric

Level Contributor
14 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ashdod and Jerusalem

We are looking for a few couples to share a private tour on November 6th from the port of Ashdod. We are on the Celebrity Constellation. Our focus is to tour the National and Tower of David museums since those two places are not usually on the Historical Jerusalem tours. Anyone out there interested email me at erichaeseler@bellsouth.net

Modi'in-Maccabim-Re...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,749 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ashdod and Jerusalem

You should post this on the Trip Advisor Cruise Critic where others with similar interests can find one another.

Chana

Israel

Reply to: Ashdod and Jerusalem
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted