We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

March 9th to March 22nd 2008 Return to Jerusalem

Cornwall, England
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
March 9th to March 22nd 2008 Return to Jerusalem

First a big Thank you to all who answered my questions regarding my first holiday in Jerusalem Aug 2006, now preparing flights accomodation for leaving Cornwall England on 9th March for Jerusalem and leaving 21st March to get back to Cornwall England. Please what is the weather like then and also is it more difficult for accomodation at this time, Jewish holidays etc over there as it will be Easter in England when we are over there. Waiting so much to return to Jerusalem.

Thanking you

Maureen - womanatthewell

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: March 9th to March 22nd 2008 Return to Jerusalem

Great news, Maureen!! The period you have chosen is fine holiday wise. The only Jewish holiday you are going to be encountering is Purim, our Carnival, which starts on March 21st (evening of March 20th). But you might get going with the booking pretty soon since it is Easter. Weather is thoroughly unpredictable. It should be too cold to swim, apart from the Dead sea and Eilat. But very green, as it will be after the big rain period (or at it last stage). I reckon like Cornwall in May/June.

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: March 9th to March 22nd 2008 Return to Jerusalem

However, that time will cover Palm Sunday to Good Friday - for the Western churches. That time can be busy at Christian sites. Eastern Orthodox Easter is a month later.

Cornwall, England
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: March 9th to March 22nd 2008 Return to Jerusalem

Thank you both very much, I am a practising Born Again Christian and was wondering what will be happening in Jerusalem at that time, would like to experience how the Jewish people celebrate, Easter time is a very special time in rememberance of our lord and Saviour Jesus Christ - Yeshua,the Messiah depending on where one's personal beliefs are. So as much info as possible would be wonderful and very much appreciated. We did find 2 places of worship one up the road from Zion Square and one a road or so over, wondering if we should maybe go a week later, our weather has been extremely mild so far this winter amazing, just a bit of a chill late to early hours of the morning here. It would be great to see Jerusalem lush with greenery. I am sure we shall go to the Dead Sea again a great day out, well worth it. We did not go swimming when we were over there last time we did wade in Galilee and re-Baptised in the Jordan much to the horror of our day out excursion driver, I think we were on a tight schedule of visitng places. We do want to go to Mount Carmel this time so maybe we will go via the bus instead of paid excursion trip we can then take our time and just sit and take it all in, in our own time without feeling rushed, which one understands as it is the excursion guys daily living. Is this time of year going to be difficult for booking we did just stay in a Hostel last time and I think for us on a budget travelling holiday we shall have to go Hostelling again, we may be older in years but still very young in Spirit !!

Thank you for your help and anymore help will be gratefully received

If anybody knows of the cheapest return flights from London Heathrom to Ben Gurion airport that would be a great help to, sifting through hundreds of flights is a maze in itself, we booked via dial a flight last time, this time they are alot more expensive with the taxes etc.

Shalom

Maureen -womanatthewell

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: March 9th to March 22nd 2008 Return to Jerusalem

The cheapest flights by far are with Thomsonfly, who have started offering bargain flights between the UK and Israel:

http://www.thomsonfly.com/en/index.html

Re. Purim - this is not at all related to the Christian Easter. It's a fun holiday to see - lots of people in fancy dress.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purim

Avigail

california
Level Contributor
732 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: March 9th to March 22nd 2008 Return to Jerusalem

We visited Jerusalem on Purim 2005, which was also Christian Holy Week. It was not too crowded at Christian sites, though tourism has increased since then. There were fireworks on Purim. The weather was excellent--warm days and cool nights. Enjoy.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,101 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: March 9th to March 22nd 2008 Return to Jerusalem

I may be reading your post wrong, BUT the Jewish people do NOT celebrate Easter or any other Christian holiday. Because Israel is a country made up of people of various religions, the Christian sites will, of course, celebrate the Christian holidays. However, there is no recognition of these days by the Israeli government. These days, which are holy to you will all be regular workdays in Israel.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,889 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: March 9th to March 22nd 2008 Return to Jerusalem

"These days, which are holy to you will all be regular workdays in Israel" - true for Israeli citizens that are Muslem or Jewish. BUT

Chrisitians celebrate those days and their shops and businesses are closed. Their holy sites and crowded, but not as much as you would expect. It will not affect your trip, but it is special to be here, where it all started, on those days. It is very nice to see the streets and shops lit and decorated in Jaffa. Jaffa is part of Tel Aviv where I live.

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: March 9th to March 22nd 2008 Return to Jerusalem

I have not been to Israel with a departure quite that early in March, but, have had 2 visits later in the month that were just wonderful. We experienced just a bit of rain, but, nothing that even slowed us down. The temperatures both in the North and in Jerusalem were fine......sweater or jacket required early in the day........and south, of course, was quite warm.

We were there during Purim and found it a delight to see the children dressed up in costume!

I'm a Christian and I have visited two churches in Jerusalem and enjoyed both of them. One is East Jerusalem Baptist Church and the other is King of Kings Assembly. The Baptist church is quite, quite small and the other church is pretty large. I enjoyed both of them, but, since I like "cozy" will probably choose to go back to the Baptist Church when we are in Israel next May. If you would like more information on either of these churches just say the word and I can give directions and so on.

Kathy Walters

Paragon, Indiana, USA

cakywalters@iquest.net

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: March 9th to March 22nd 2008 Return to Jerusalem

Kathy - you visited only two churches in Jerusalem? Do you mean the new city?

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: March 9th to March 22nd 2008 Return to Jerusalem

Kathy, you should know that the East Jerusalem Baptist Church was recently the target of arson. Fortunately, this time the damage was limited.

www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite…

Back to the main thread, you will be in Jerusalem for Holy week as celebrated by the Roman Catholics and Protestants. You may want to brave the Palm Sunday procession.

The Eastern Orthodox will celebrate a month later. It's unusual to be this far apart. It might make the city less crowded than when the celebrations fall on the same dates.