We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need transportation from Tel Aviv airport to Jerusalem

Modesto, CA
8 posts
Save Topic
Need transportation from Tel Aviv airport to Jerusalem

I will be arriving at Tel Aviv airport at 1:00 am in mid-April and need transportation to Jerusalem. What is available at that time of night and what might it cost? One adult (me) travelling with two suitcases.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,780 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need transportation from Tel Aviv airport to Jerusalem

First of all, there is no place to stay near the airport. The airport is roughly equidistant between Tel Aviv and Jerusalem (slightly closer to Tel Aviv). But there are no nearby hotels, because it's so close to both cities.

You have two choices. You can take a private cab that should run about $65 (no tip needed unless the driver does something unusual like carrying your suitcases into your hotel). Or you could take a sherut (group taxi) that will run about $15 per person and leave as soon as it fills up, taking the group to their hotels or homes in some order. After such a long flight, I'd take a private cab to get to your hotel without a wait. You'll be ready for that!

The actual drive to Jerusalem at that hour with no traffic should take 30-45 minutes maximum. It's not bad at all.

Have a great trip!

Douglas Duckett

Modesto, CA
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need transportation from Tel Aviv airport to Jerusalem

Thank you very much for your quick reply. It is much appreciated. I may have additional questions in the near future and I hope you can again be available with good information.

Thanks,

BaronPilot70

new jersey
Level Contributor
56 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need transportation from Tel Aviv airport to Jerusalem

We will be arriving @ 3:00 am from Rome to Tel Aviv.

Please tell me how much a taxi should be and are they regulated????

We are going to Tel Aviv to the Sheraton Hotel.

please email me. littlear@hotmail.com

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,121 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need transportation from Tel Aviv airport to Jerusalem

The taxis are regulated, you should take one from the line just out of the arrivals hall. There is a dispatcher and most of the time a line, but it goes quickly. Price is about 150 shekels. Take shekels out of an ATM machine inside the arrivals hall.

new jersey
Level Contributor
56 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need transportation from Tel Aviv airport to Jerusalem

thank you very much. amk

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
175 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need transportation from Tel Aviv airport to Jerusalem

We are arriving next Friday at 9:15AM, traveling to Rehavia in Jerusalem. Party of 4 with 4-6 suitcases. Do you know if there are cabs that will accomodate all of us, or will we need to split up? Also, do the cabs take credit or should I plan on hitting the ATM before we leave the terminal? Thanks.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,584 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need transportation from Tel Aviv airport to Jerusalem

Taxis do NOT take credit cards--so you need to go to the ATM. There are some station wagon cabs that carry more luggage. Also, many of not all have roof racks and the driver will tie your luggage on top if need be.

New York
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need transportation from Tel Aviv airport to Jerusalem

We're staying in Tel Aviv (sheraton) and need to get there from the airport - -then from Tel Aviv three days later need to go to Jerusalem (inbal hotel)- - can anyone give some guidance (a) How does one tell and distinguish between a taxi and a "sherut" at the airport or anywhere for that matter? and (b) some ways to get to Jerusalem from Tel Aviv if not by bus? - would like to rent a car but dont know about parkign in Jerusalem -staying at the inbal hotel in Jerusalem. thanks

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,780 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need transportation from Tel Aviv airport to Jerusalem

There are no sheruts between Tel Aviv and the airport, only private taxis (because the price is just not high enough to generate a sherut market). There are sheruts that run between Tel Aviv and Jerusalem, I believe. Your hotel could arrange them. Or you could take a private cab between the two cities.

Douglas Duckett

Bacl home in Cincinnati

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need transportation from Tel Aviv airport to Jerusalem

As Douglas says - from the airport to Tel Aviv, take a taxi. You can find them on your left after exiting the arrivals building (don't take any that try to pick you up in the arrivals hall). There is a fixed price, and you can ask the attendant exactly how much it is. At the airport you can't get mixed up, because the sherut is a large van, that can carry 10 passengers plus their luggage.

From Tel Aviv to Jerusalem you can get a sherut, but I believe that they don't do pickups - you have to go to the sherut stop. Also in Jerusalem, as opposed to the airport sherut, the regular sherut (I think) just has a couple of stops in central places. Considering that you may need to take a taxi on each side, it will probably be more convenient (although about double the price) to take a taxi from door to door.

In general, you don't need to be able to tell the difference between a regular taxi and a sherut, since you are unlikely to encounter an empty sherut when you are looking for a taxi.