We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can I find the best coffee in Jerusalem

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Where can I find the best coffee in Jerusalem

Hopefully made by a barista! Not Starbucks please.

Israel
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can I find the best coffee in Jerusalem

Starbucks failed in Israel and disappeared as fast as it arrived. There are quite a few chains that serve good coffee all over Israel: Aroma, CafeNeto, Cafe Cafe, Cafe Jo, Ilan's and more. You will find them everywhere.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Paragon
Level Contributor
1,751 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can I find the best coffee in Jerusalem

Israel doesn't need Starbucks! LOL One thing I found from the beginning of my trips to Israel was that I could find a very good coffee or latte' or cappachino in many, many places. You'll have no problem at all.

Kathy Walters

Paragon, Indiana, USA

cakywalters@iquest.net

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
717 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can I find the best coffee in Jerusalem

My wife makes the best coffee in Jerusalem.

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,431 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can I find the best coffee in Jerusalem

There are many excellent places to not only enjoy a great cup of coffee but to sit and enjoy the Israeli life unfloding in front of you.

One of my favorite places is on Jaffa Street right adjacent to Mahane Yehuda. You can find it by the many bags of spices outside it's front door. They have 3 tiny tables inside with an equally tiny coffee bar surrounded by the aroma of all types of spices and coffees. I go there to get my annual supply of zatar (hysop) and enjoy a coffee. I don't know the name of it bu it is fairly easy to find.

Dr. Z

Mentioned in this post
Jaffa
Jaffa
Tel Aviv, Israel
Hotel Yehuda
Hotel Yehuda
995 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,431 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where can I find the best coffee in Jerusalem

....not "unfloding" but unfolding !!!

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
31 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where can I find the best coffee in Jerusalem

Hi, Janet!

Just got back. I asked the coffee question before I left, and got lots of reassurance from the board that the coffee would be fantastic in Israel. In my freshly-formed opinion, there doesn't seem to be a problem getting good COFFEE in Israel. The problem I found is with the lack of actual cream for it. Guess I should have clarified my question. We were usually offered low-fat milk as cream, or else some non-dairy pareve creamer. Kind of rough for us, but we managed to find some cream at a Super Sol that we were able to add to the Nescafe that made it palatable. I also ended up adding a lot of sugar to my coffee, which I don't usually do.

That said, the "aaah!" cup of coffee we finally managed to track down was a capuccino at Paradiso (only spelled in Hebrew script on the sign) on King George Street (I believe), right next to Olive and Fish. The guy at Rosemary, right off of King David did a decent capuccino, as well, but my top choice is Paradiso, for sure!

Enjoy!

Amy

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
olive and fish
olive and fish
515 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
The King David
The King David
1,581 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
21,537 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where can I find the best coffee in Jerusalem

Shoshi will visit you and your beer and I will visit your wife and her coffee, Matzhick...

Best coffeshops in my opinion:-

Arcaffe Hillel Street

Hillel - ditto and all over town

Aroma - Hillel and King George St and all over town

Coffee Mill in the german Colony

Enjoy your cuppa!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where can I find the best coffee in Jerusalem

Thanks everyone, I look forward to having a good cup of coffee in Jerusalem!

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Israel
Level Contributor
736 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where can I find the best coffee in Jerusalem

Like Anon, I also vote for the Coffee Mill at the German Colony. Freshly grounded coffee of various types and brands in this small place. And in the adjacent shop there's the best Italian home made ice cream in Jerusalem, plus some very good Homemade chocolate (the place is called "Har Zahav"=Gold Mountain).

Mentioned in this post
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
mid-hudson valley...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Where can I find the best coffee in Jerusalem

As someone else mentioned, if you want something other than espresso, it's crucial to get familiar with the extensive coffee "glossary" in Israel. Cafe Hafuch ("upside down") is the equivalent of a latte in North American. Except I think it's better ;-).

This time of year there are also frozen coffee drinks which are outstanding. Usually this go by a name which includes a version of the word "ice." "Cold" coffee is a hot drink poured over ice (usually). But each cafe chain seems to have variations.

We were several times at Cafe Hillel on Yaffo Street and they have a very helpful guide in Engish with illustrations.

Considering how popular and busy Cafe Hillel is (there is also a Coffee Bean across the street but we didn't go there), and how many "newbies" that must come in on a daily basis, I was very appreciative of the patience and helpfulness shown by the staff there. No sign of grumpiness at all.

The food was very good too -- I had an excellent, very fresh salad and sweet potato quiche.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East