We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If you only had one day - Jerusalem....

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
321 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
If you only had one day - Jerusalem....

What would you do??

I'm planning a trip including Jordan and Egypt. Since Jerusalem is so close, I was thinking it would be soo interesting to see some of the sites.

Please forgive my geographical ignorance, but I've also always wanted to see the Masada - and perhaps climb to the top, if that's allowed. Is the Masada in the vicinity of Jerusalem??

What would you recommend?

Thanks so much,

Christine

north carolina
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: If you only had one day - Jerusalem....

hey christine

Joe wachs here.. we were together on either the rome or france trip together.. cant remember now it was a few years ago. PM me and lets chat..

joe wachs

diocese of raleigh

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: If you only had one day - Jerusalem....

Christine, we did a day tour from Jerusalem to Masada, you can either hike up or take the cable car to the top, it also included a visit to the Dead Sea. It was a full day tour. You will need more than one day, we were there for a week and realised we needed to come back for another visit.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
321 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If you only had one day - Jerusalem....

Hey Nefertari!

Thanks so much! I know that once we get to Jordan, and perhaps some time in Jerusalem, we'll probably be overwhelmed by everything.

Thanks for your insight!

Christine

Wisconsin USA
Level Contributor
93 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: If you only had one day - Jerusalem....

I'd recommend getting a personal guide for your day in Jerusalem. Masada is about 1 1/2 hour drive east from Jerusalem. If you only have one day go to Masada, maybe Ein Gedi or other Dead Sea location, and save Jerusalem for another trip. Do get some solid advice on your border crossing plans as well.

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
321 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If you only had one day - Jerusalem....

Hey MelWisc!!

Thanks so much! I think I'll take your advice, since the one thing I've been wanting to do is go to the Masada. I just hate trying to fit everything into such a short time frame; I'd rather take my time.

Thanks again!

Christine

Israel
Level Contributor
189 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If you only had one day - Jerusalem....

Christine,

If you are going to hike Masada make sure to make time for a quick dip in the dead sea. There is a public beach about 10-15 km north of masada.

If you are interested in some pictures I have them posted on my website:

americaninisrael.com/travelisrael/…

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
321 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If you only had one day - Jerusalem....

Hey Dmarginian!!

Thanks so much for the recommendation. My mother and I are actually spending 2 nights at the Marriott Dead Sea in Jordan.

I very much appreciate your help.

Take Care,

Christine

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
264 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If you only had one day - Jerusalem....

You definately need more than one day and the border crossing can be sheer torture and you could end up wasting a day as a result! We were 6-7 hours at the border because my friend got held up on a security check.

Thank god we were booked to stay 3 night anyways! Otherwise it would have been a complete waste of time!

See here for details

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293986-i3134-k209…

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,588 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If you only had one day - Jerusalem....

While the OP may have already had their vacation, it is important to indicate the "true" story of why it took the previous poster 6-7 hours to cross into Israel. ( info gained by following her link) The person held up was a Muslim women. Unfortunately a number of Israeli lives have been lost by Muslim women who feel it is acceptable to committ murder. The fact that someone has a Euopean passport--hasn't mitigated that fact. Israel has a right to protect herself, her citizens and her tourists. Unfortunately this means that someone who "fits" the profile gets caught in the security.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
264 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If you only had one day - Jerusalem....

The OP may or may not have Muslim relatives/husband, and its important to expect the worst. A German girl was detained for the same time as her and she was half Jordanian and christian.

A Russian woman was held on account of her husband being Palestinian.

We were told that there would be no problems at all with us. Even though my friend is Muslim as long as she is British its fine. We were told there would be no problems on the Jordanian TA. Even her friend who is British and Muslim had no problems. I guess it can depend on the day.

I am glad we didn t listen and that we allowed so much time as otherwise it would have been a total waste of a journey.

You just can t predict what will happen. There was no gaurentee I would get through either. Its best to allow alot of time and eer on the side of caution.

The queues alone can be VERY long also! Thats another reason to allow for alot of time.