We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temple Mount/Dome of the Rock

NJ
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Temple Mount/Dome of the Rock

Does anyne know who/where/when (for nonMoslems) to gain access to the Temple Mount, and also how/when non-Moslems may visit the inside of the Dome of the Rock? Would welcome details, personal experiences from 2008. Thanks.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
330 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Temple Mount/Dome of the Rock

Non-Muslims are not permitted inside the Dome of the Rock. However you can gain access to Temple Mount every afternoon except Friday. The entrance is at the gate to the Western Wall Plaza. Expect long lines and tight security.

Fred Schlomka

NJ
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Temple Mount/Dome of the Rock

Thanks for the info---once having gained entrance to the Temple Mount is the (non-Moslem) tourist free to wander in the open spaces at least?

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
330 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Temple Mount/Dome of the Rock

Yes, you can freely wander around the entire platform. No praying allowed :-(

Fred Schlomka

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,261 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Temple Mount/Dome of the Rock

Fred-

When you say "freely wander" does that mean someone will not be following me or will I still be followed?

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
330 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Temple Mount/Dome of the Rock

No-one will follow you. However if you want an informal tour by an English-speaking guide, there are a few Palestinian guides available. 50 shekels is the usual cost.

Fred Schlomka

Santa Barbara...
Level Contributor
246 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Temple Mount/Dome of the Rock

the hotel manager at my hotel said that a non-Muslim can go inside the Dome of the Rock 8am-10am every day except Friday. However, all the other postings have said that non-Muslims are not allowed inside the actual building. Do you know if the rules have changed?

If you cannot go inside the building, what are the current hours to at least see it from the outside?

thanks

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,368 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Temple Mount/Dome of the Rock

The hotel manager is wrong. (which hotel) The hours he refers to are the hours that non-Muslims can go up to the Temple Mount where the Dome of the Rock is located. ( See Fred's post for details)

Israel
Level Contributor
269 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Temple Mount/Dome of the Rock

Temple Mount is open to non-Muslims Sun-Thurs 1:30pm-2:30pm. It's also open in the mornings on those days, but I'm not positive what the time is, something like 7:30-9:30, but I could be wrong...

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Temple Mount/Dome of the Rock

I'm going to the Temple Mount a week from Monday with a group of about 45. Our teacher said we had to arrive by 7.30 am to get through security before the line gets really long, so that we will have as much time as possible on the Mount before we have to leave at 10 or 10.30.

Singapore
Level Contributor
207 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Temple Mount/Dome of the Rock

My friend and I visited Temple Mount and Dome of the Rock on 15 March 2009 with a wonderful tour guide by the name of Sam Salem. Sam Salem works with the UN so he managed to get us in for a quick tour of Temple Mount & Dome of the Rock. With us were 2 other couples. We all met at St Stephen's gate(aka Lion's Gate) at 8.30am. There were security checks at the entrance and ladies have to wear a skirt that falls below the knees as well as a scarf to cover the hair. Actual tour was conducted by an Arab guide. By 10am, the tour was completed.

I think Sam Salem could be the only guide who could get non-moslems into the Dome of the Rock. He's highly recommended by many people here on Tripadvisors. The only thing is you may have to arrange your itinerary around his timing for entrance into Dome of the Rock.

Sam can be reach at guide.holy@gmail.com or 971-54-2168441.